Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Clunking sensation in front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 07:37 PM

Car Info: '02 Legacy GT - no mods
I have an '02 Legacy GT and I've attributed it to the fact that it's a car with a relatively stiff suspension with cheap parts connecting everything so you feel/hear that clunk going over potholes, etc. I have a feeling that an older (96/97) A4 had a comparable suspension brand new but because it was an Audi, you didn't hear and feel the clunk.

Keep in mind I don't really have a lot of experience with what suspensions should act like, so I am just assuming that stiff suspensions are going to give you some jars and clunks, and since it's a relatively cheap Sube (compared to BMW, Audi) you're just more aware of it.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:53 AM

Car Info: '02 Legacy GT - no mods
Yeah, that's what I was going for, that compared to a BMW or Audi, the suspension bushings and steering connectors are a little lower quality.

Also, I should correct myself and say that you'll still feel the potholes in a Beamer or Audi, it just won't sound like the strut is about to fire itself through the hood.

By the way, I love my GT's suspension. Sure, it could be better, but I drove a Buick Regal this weekend and it felt like I was in a boat on big ocean waves. I could hardly feel the road or what the steering was doing. Buicks may be an extreme example, but still, I like the sometimes clunky ride I get in my car. I can only imagine what driving an M3 is like.