Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Clunking noises with oem suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:58 PM

Clunking noises with oem suspension?

I recently put back my oem (springs and struts) suspension for my 02 WRX and it's been making clunking noises. The noises were only heard when going over bumps or making turns. With the car being on the lift, the mechanic told me that he can shake the springs left to right. Therefore, he thinks that it's missing some sort of spacers or a ring (to holds it in place.) He said the spacers/ring is probably the part that holds the springs in place.

Can anobody help me out with this problem?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Car Info: MY02 WRX
My car is bone stock and 67+ k miles. I'm having the same problem with mine. The shop I took it to said the struts needed to be replaced. I'm holding off for now until I can research it on here.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I have a clunking sound too. It is weird because when I go slow... it clunks slow... and when I start going faster, it clunks a little faster. However, after a certain point, it stops clunking.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
mine only clunks when making right turns...
Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 AM

Car Info: Black 2004 STI
mine is starting to clunk when i go on bumps..
Old 11-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Well I do not know if this will help you but here I go. I have an '04 STI and so far I have had 2 full sets of rear struts replaced (+/- every 13-15k miles) and recently had the front strut tops replaced and to be honest my car still makes some noises. I also had the entire steering rack replaced and it still has some very minor noise. My local shop says that sti's just make noises because they are so stiffly sprung but as for wrx's I do not know. I just thought I would offer up my experience. ONly positive here besides the meth on wheels fun of the car is that with the exception of the tops all the other stuff has been handled under warranty so I can not complain too much. FYI
Old 11-29-2006, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB WRX
i just replaced my sways and rear endlinks and now i hear a clunking type noise coming from the rear of the car...is that normal? its only on rough roads and bumps...04wrx with cobb front and rear sways with their rear endlinks(not trying to threadjack sorry thought this might belong here better than starting a new thread)
Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
Originally Posted by darkonion
I have a clunking sound too. It is weird because when I go slow... it clunks slow... and when I start going faster, it clunks a little faster. However, after a certain point, it stops clunking.

It deff sounds like you need strut replacing. I had the same problem with my forester after i did some rallycross.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2005 Bumpy Clunker
Originally Posted by SpdingTktsInc
Well I do not know if this will help you but here I go. I have an '04 STI and so far I have had 2 full sets of rear struts replaced (+/- every 13-15k miles) and recently had the front strut tops replaced and to be honest my car still makes some noises. I also had the entire steering rack replaced and it still has some very minor noise. My local shop says that sti's just make noises because they are so stiffly sprung but as for wrx's I do not know. I just thought I would offer up my experience. ONly positive here besides the meth on wheels fun of the car is that with the exception of the tops all the other stuff has been handled under warranty so I can not complain too much. FYI
it's very common for STi rear suspensions to clunk. the strut body slides in and out of the strut housing (because it's inverted). what happens is for some reason the strut body starts to rub the strut housing. so, it sticks sometimes, and you get some clunking noises. to alleviate the noise, grease your strut housing with mobil 1 synthetic grease (red).

you can do this by jacking up the rear of your car, pushing up the dust boot, and greasing the strut body. it works.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 AM

if you have recently done suspension work and have clunking, it is one of three things...

1. you didn't tighten your endlinks properly or they are damaged.
2. you didn't tighten your strut top properly. this is NOT where it mounts to the car. i'm talking about the nut that holds the strut assembly together.
3. you have coilovers, and you height adjustment assembly is loose.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by wickedrex
I recently put back my oem (springs and struts) suspension for my 02 WRX and it's been making clunking noises. The noises were only heard when going over bumps or making turns. With the car being on the lift, the mechanic told me that he can shake the springs left to right. Therefore, he thinks that it's missing some sort of spacers or a ring (to holds it in place.) He said the spacers/ring is probably the part that holds the springs in place.

Can anobody help me out with this problem?
your tophat is loose. tighten the nut that holds the strut assembly together.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STi
Had the same problem with my 06 STI. The dealer replaced the struts and informed me that there were problems with the struts on some of the 04/05 models. Mine was the first 06 they had encountered the problem. Once replaced, no clunking (as of yet).
Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Sierra3
Had the same problem with my 06 STI. The dealer replaced the struts and informed me that there were problems with the struts on some of the 04/05 models. Mine was the first 06 they had encountered the problem. Once replaced, no clunking (as of yet).
actually, I believe it was just 04s with that problem, with the 05s they fixed whatever it was.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:01 AM

clicking noise

I know exactly where my clicking noise is coming from. I have a 06 sti and recently installed sti 1" drop springs. Installation went smoothly and test drive was great. About two weeks later I noticed a cluncking,clicking noise coming only from the rear passenger side. Took the seats out, took the strut cover off and noticed it was the nut that is screwed down the shock that was making the noise. It was moving about an 1/8" everytime the car was moving. I knew I made sure that the strut top sat flush on both spring and shock before I tightened it. But I took the reat strut off again and tighened it. Noise went away so I thought, "maybe I didnt tighten it down all the way" What the hell its fixed now and thats all that matters. Two weeks later the same noise came back. Took it apart, bought some nut lock, applied it and tightened it again(Im using an 1/2" impact gun) Guess what, two weeks later the noise is back again. I know I tightened it tight enough cause I am using a impact and the other three struts are fine. Why is it just that side? I didnt leave anything out like a washer or anything like that. What should I do? I can reinstall my stock springs and see if the noise comes back again and if it does I can take it in cause it is still under warranty. Thats probably what Im going to do. Any suggestions??? Thanks