Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

clunk on a stock STi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 04wrx
Question clunk on a stock STi

Having searched the forum, ive only found clunking in modded cars. I get the same rear clunk with slow-speed turning except my car is stock, not even 3k miles. I have yet to take it in to the shop, but I have a bad feeling they will tell me they cant find anything. Sounds like the sway bar/endlinks may be a culprit, from what i have read. If anyone with has had this problem on a stock car, Id like to hear about the outcome. thanks guys. rally04
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
There is an 11 page thread on this over at nasioc. It seems to be an STi strut issue in the rear.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you have springs, they can deny your warranty on struts. However, they know there is an issue with the struts, so as long as you're positive with them about the situation, and work with them instead of against them, you should be able to get replacement struts.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:49 PM

Car Info: silver STI
had to replace the left rear strut mount on my stock 04 sti (15k miles). kept making a clunking noise going over bumbs at low speeds (only time I could hear it).
Old 01-18-2005, 05:54 PM

Yup, probably struts. I had one rear replaced under warranty, will have the other rear replaced as soon as I make an appointment.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Question Clunks under car when cold

Hello folks,
When backing out of my garage in the morning I have a rather noticeable clunk come from under my sti ('04 white/silver). I have had both rear struts replaced under warranty and this is under the car. It only does it upon the initial inches of backward travel. Does anybody have the same clunk?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Egan
There is an 11 page thread on this over at nasioc. It seems to be an STi strut issue in the rear.
l
Link please?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Getting this along with a leaking head gasket problem checked on saturday, will post the results. If you are getting it in the rear, try opening the trunk and pushing/sitting down on the lip of the trunk opening, does that make the clunk? Also, when you try to push down on it, does the suspension compress? My problem is that the suspension is binding, so i'm getting no compression,and some extra wear on my tires' shoulders because of it. If you jack that corner up, you may find that the clunk goes away for a little bit, but will eventually come back.
I think this was due to the fact that when it hits full travel, the bushing (don't remember which one) gets some of the damping fluid that is probably low in the strut, and is able to move again, but once it goes through a few dozen compression cycles the damping fluid will be gone and it will bind again.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:00 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by roadkillSTI
l
Link please?
Not that I am advocating using nasioc, but the thread is quite comprehensive:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...80#post8737680
Old 01-26-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Seraph
Getting this along with a leaking head gasket problem checked on saturday, will post the results. If you are getting it in the rear, try opening the trunk and pushing/sitting down on the lip of the trunk opening, does that make the clunk? Also, when you try to push down on it, does the suspension compress? My problem is that the suspension is binding, so i'm getting no compression,and some extra wear on my tires' shoulders because of it. If you jack that corner up, you may find that the clunk goes away for a little bit, but will eventually come back.
I think this was due to the fact that when it hits full travel, the bushing (don't remember which one) gets some of the damping fluid that is probably low in the strut, and is able to move again, but once it goes through a few dozen compression cycles the damping fluid will be gone and it will bind again.
Yeah, pushing down on the trunk lip, or bouncing my weight while standing on the door jam of a rear door would make the clunk. It finally got to the point that the suspension would go down but wouldn't come back up. After driving (or even standing on the door jam) I could get out, pull up on the fender well, hear that clunk sound, and that corner would pop up about 1/2 inch.

After swapping the strut out for a new one, Subaru tested the "bad" strut and by the numbers nothing was wrong with it... it was just... "sticky".