Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Clicking noise from Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:54 AM

Unhappy Clicking noise from Swaybar

I have a cusco rear swaybar for my wrx, on stock links. recently, it's making some clicking sounds when I drive slow, and it's more apparent when I go up/down curb ramps, and make 90 degree turns. They go away once I get to highway speed. It sounds like something is rattling in the truck while nothing's inside. Not sure what is making the sound exactly, I checked under the car, it is tight, and wasnt hitting the exhaust when parked. I have been parking with half of my car on the curb, and wondered if that messed something up. Any suggestions on how I should diagnose the problem? Could it be the stock endlinks that are making the sounds?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I would try replacing the endlinks with something like Whiteline KLC26s. It *might* fix the problem, and even if not, it's a worthy mod.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:08 PM

Car Info: GC8 ej20 motor, 18" gramlights on yokos,
i have the whitline w/ links and i get it once in awhile at slow speeds on bumps.

KINGSKY
Old 08-26-2003, 11:09 PM

Okay, here's a simple fix if it's your problem. When I put on my HKS hyper, the stock sway bar was only 0.5" from the exhaust hanger and when you turn or sway, the bar would hit the hanger even though the gap would suggest otherwise. With my 22-24 mm cusco, I still have less than 0.5" from the exhaust hanger with no problems.....Simple fix for me was to get approximately 3 inches of old green water hose and slice it lengthwise to open it up and wrap it around the exhaust hanger with duct tape. No one will see it so don't worry about aesthetics. Clunk is all but long gone. Just try it , you'll be suprised. It takes all but five minutes.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
I would try replacing the endlinks with something like Whiteline KLC26s. It *might* fix the problem, and even if not, it's a worthy mod.
I have the KLC26's too and they are nice and look good with my gold wheels

Anyway, I have the same bar as you. and have had no problems. I know it's a PITA but undo the mounts and grease the bushings with some white lithium grease and also grease the bar about 1" outside of the bushings (because the bar flex's under turns etc). Then grease the bushings in the endlinks and think about getting some aftermarket links too.

If new links are too much for your budget then email Tom and Mark at kartboy and see if they have any rear endlink bushings laying around. Then look on scoobymods.com on directions to press the stock bushing. I did it with a monkey wrench and a 10mm socket when i put the kartboy bushings in. took me about 30min for the entire install.

eric
Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 PM

I have an otherwise stock suspension (for now) with the Helix endlinks. I get the clicking noise. In my case its the endlink pillowball bearings reaching the end of their sideways travel and the link is impacting the round adapters. I can reach under there and move them side to side and reproduce the noise. I'm going to get some polyurethane or rubber washer-type things and put them in, just thick enough so the endlink impacts them instead of going all the way out on travel and hitting the adapters. Kind of a ruddy fix, but I'll see if it works. These Helix endlinks would probably be a better choice with a shorter travel coil-over type suspension, but once I get the Konis/STi springs in, we'll see how bad it is.

As for a cusco bar and stock endlinks, no clue. Real helpful, eh? Sorry.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:41 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
shorter springs and differant struts won't fix it. i'm running STi takeoffs with STi springs, and it lowers the car enough that i notice it. i still get the noise on some occasions with the cusco rear bar and perrin end links. i think the bar is actually hitting he endlink at the end of it's travel.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:30 AM

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. I'm going to do some testing and see exactly how to fix it. On the other forum someone mentioned creating some rubber washers to slip over the adapters, and I was thinking of doing something similar. Nothing extreme, just enough to keep it from clanking. I'll also test to see if its hitting the bar.
Oh yeah, I pm'd you about the stock suspension stuff.
-Mirror
Old 12-11-2003, 12:00 AM

i just installed the same exact setup today helix endlinks with the cusco sway bar. What is the final result of what is the cause of this problem and how to fix it?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:55 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i don't know that anyone really came to a final conclusion. i haven't noticed the noise from my car recently, though with the additional noise from other mods, thats not really all that suprising.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:35 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
My car made that noise until I properly tightened the Whiteline rear alloy links on my Cusco anti-sway bar. Noise gone for months now. I looked for signs of contact with axleback or anything else and saw none on my stock height rex.

I also recently re-adjusted the Cusco to the least aggressive setting. The middle setting (22mm?) was way too loose for me under heavy braking while entering corners, with stock RE92s.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-15-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by jhong567
i just installed the same exact setup today helix endlinks with the cusco sway bar. What is the final result of what is the cause of this problem and how to fix it?
My STi RA springs and Konis are in and its still there. My solution is going to be getting different endlinks. Sigh....
Old 12-18-2003, 01:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
put some grease on the bushings and see what happens.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
If the exhaust is clanking on the the bar... instead of the garden hose solution which will eventually need to be replaced with another uninstallation and reinstalltion of the bar, it might be possible to tighten exhaut donuts with wireties. Sounds janky, but its easy, its clean and will last a LONG time... the question is, Will it work? Just an idea.

No offense protocol_droid, but with that hose idea there's still things banging into eachother that should be.

jason

Quick Reply: Clicking noise from Swaybar