Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Cannot align MY02 WRX with v.7 STi suspension/camber bolts (was: Alignment Problem)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Alignment Problem

Let me start off by saying that I have Ver. 7 STi struts/springs and rear camber bolts. Everything else is stock.
I just got back from the allignment shop and I'm a little bit upset. They were able to get my toe to 0 all around, but the camber wouldn't adjust quite right. The left rear was -1.3 and the right rear was -0.9. I was right with the guy when he was turning the right rear camber bolt and it wouldn't go any more negative. Also, the left front was -1.0 and the right front was -0.1. It was the same way as rear. I was watching him turn the camber bolt and it wouldn't go any more negative. Furthermore, the steering wheel is way left when I'm driving straight and it just bothers me. He braced the steering wheel to keep it straight when the car was on the rack, so I don't why it isn't straight.
Finally to my question. Why won't the camber bolts on the front and rear adjust the camber properly? Is it possible the something is damaged in the suspension? I'm tempted to just take to the dealership and have them take a look at it.
Thanks for the read and any help that you can give.

psycho
Old 10-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by psychobooe
Let me start off by saying that I have Ver. 7 STi struts/springs and rear camber bolts. Everything else is stock.
I just got back from the allignment shop and I'm a little bit upset. They were able to get my toe to 0 all around, but the camber wouldn't adjust quite right. The left rear was -1.3 and the right rear was -0.9. I was right with the guy when he was turning the right rear camber bolt and it wouldn't go any more negative. Also, the left front was -1.0 and the right front was -0.1. It was the same way as rear. I was watching him turn the camber bolt and it wouldn't go any more negative. Furthermore, the steering wheel is way left when I'm driving straight and it just bothers me. He braced the steering wheel to keep it straight when the car was on the rack, so I don't why it isn't straight.
Finally to my question. Why won't the camber bolts on the front and rear adjust the camber properly? Is it possible the something is damaged in the suspension? I'm tempted to just take to the dealership and have them take a look at it.
Thanks for the read and any help that you can give.

psycho
something can infact be damaged, though his inability to get your steering wheel straight raies a flag with me. One of the parameters the machine has you set is steering wheel angle, if its not straight the machine(if its a hunter) shows red at you the whole time. This might sound stupid, but idid he have the top bolts lossened while he rotated to camber bolts? Ive seen this happen before, seriously. Also, are you trying to put this suspension on a wagon or sedan?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
after I went sideways on a dirt road and plowed into a pile of dirt, lightly afftecting my rear alignment, they havent been able to adjust my rear left camber, every time the guy says "something is wrong with the strut, but it isnt off by much"
Old 11-14-2006, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Your rear subframe may not be centered. Crawl under and look at the toe adjuster bolts; are they in radically different positions? i.e., one is at 9 o'clock, the other is at 1 o'clock? If the subframe is centered and both sides have about the same camber and toe, the toe bolts should be close to mirror images of each other.