Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Bridgestone/Praxis Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 95 Legacy wagon
has anyone found an air tank that fits in the spare wheelwell that is compatible?

JAN
Old 10-28-2003, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon White
No - I'm still working on it. I saw a pair of 3 gallon tank at a tool show last weekend that looked like they'd fit fine. Only problem is they were attached to a compressor and cost about $100.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 95 Legacy wagon
would anyone be able to custom fab a tank in the wheelwee that will fit in like a sub box?

contouring to the bottom of the wheelwell and making a flat panel on top...i think that it would make the most of the space.
I wouldnt want to work aroud the tank in a wagon trying to fold the seat... kind of a space hassle i can almost live with...

JAN
Old 10-28-2003, 08:51 PM

Thumbs down wet blanket

I'll be the wet blanket ...

Liability is *the* issue for anything custom. The tank pressures up to ~120 psi.

Also, the size of the tank, 7 gallon, helps keep the air compressor from cycling as much. Though usually infrequent (unless showing off ) the tank is a reservoir that enables quick settling of the system when changing hts. as well as stabilizing the system with varying loads.

Remember, this system is designed to keep the 4 corners of the car at the calibrated heights. Therefore, a light load, heavy load, off balanced load, full to empty tank of gas, no matter what load difference there is from calibration ... those 4 corners will be maintained at the calibrated heights.

Although I suspect that the particular tank that Praxis selected was priced right as it is very common. That and it meets liability issues I suspect as being their primary criteria … but I don’t know for certain. And, like we have found, there are not too many choices.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:52 PM

After an extensive discussion with Doug Gill (solo events, technical manager) at SCCA regarding the legality of the Praxis system in SCCA solo events, I can report that within the current rules structure, Praxis legality is as follows:

Stock Classes (S) - not legal *
Street Prepared classes (SP) - not legal **
Prepared classes (P) - legal
Modified classes (M) - legal
Street Touring classes (ST) - not legal **
Street Modified (SM) - legal

* S classes do not allow spring replacement.

** SP and ST classes require that the spring be replaced by a spring of the same type (coil with coil, torsion-bar with torsion-bar, etc.). Even though the air-spring does not alter the location or direction that the spring force is applied, it would be considered different and, therefore, not legal.

By analogy, it is interesting that other, very common and popular aftermarket products face this same quandary. Upgraded engine computers face the same classification status as Praxis.

Last edited by Dexter@tirerack; 11-14-2003 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:29 AM

Hey Dexter,

Was there anything said about use in winter conditions? A friend of mine was told by a rep from Tein, that their struts aren't well suited for winter use, as you will need to wash them off everytime they come in contact with snow. He ended up going with KW since they are stainless steel. I'm from Ottawa so we get our share of snow, -30 C temps, salt, sand, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Deuce
Old 11-14-2003, 11:46 AM

No problem in the winter. The strut is powder coated, the air spring mounts are aircraft-grade aluminum, and the bags are rubber. They might run a little stiffer in the extreme cold because of rubber and pliability, but that can be corrected by looser (more loose) settings on the dampers.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:50 AM

Great, thx for the quick reply Dexter. These babies are definitely on my wish list!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:00 PM

You and me both. I've got an empty rear left strut that's dying for replacement...
Old 11-17-2003, 11:43 PM

Car Info: MY02 WRX
Hey Dexter,

Sorry to keep buggin', but I'm still very interested. Any word on the below inquiry? Thanks.

- Logan

Originally posted by Logan
Has the developers done any lateral grip, 700 ft. slalom & track time comparisons versus various well known coilover brands (JIC, DMS, Tein, HKS, APEXi, etc.)? If not, can you find out if it can be done?

I've been searching for something like these since I first got my car. The flexability of the Praxis system sounds amazing. Everyday driveability on rough roads like the stock suspension and tight "rail-like" feel on the twisties like a set of coilovers.

If we can see comparison numbers and even if they're slightly less than the best coliover numbers, I'd get them in an instant. I know others feel the same.

- Logan
Old 11-19-2003, 02:35 PM

The system can be indexed at three points anywhere within the suspension travel. Their recommendations are the most common settings possible. However, in certain situations, one might want higher than stock and in other situations sitting on the bump stops might be optimal. That's no problem, but it's your call. "Collateral damage" can occur if you stray too far from normal settings.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:50 PM

Thumbs up

My $.02 worth, I have a Praxis system installed.

There is quite a range of travel available in our suspension. I have only had mine set/calibrated to the Praxis suggested settings, but have considered others just as you are thinking. For winter's deep snow, I was thinking about a SUV height. That might be as high as possible & maybe allowing a bit for some travel. That height I do not know, but imagine how high the car is when jacking it up just before the tires leave the ground.

As far as I know, the primary consideration is the change in wheel alignment that occurs from one height setting to another. Their suggested settings are an optimum ... and a place to start. You might want your best for "tire wear alignment" done at the height that you expect to do most of your driving.

The caveat to that, the Praxis alignment suggestions are made at Touring/OEM ht. The alignment that results at their Track height setting does work pretty well at the track. I realize that this is pretty vague ... so maybe Dexter can get all the alignment numbers laid out for us. :banana:

There is no limitation on the "delta" between height settings. The only limitation in that regard is that there are three positions available. Since there is a height sensor at each wheel, they all actually work independantly; so a "drag" height with the front end at a different ht than the rear could easily be set. Again, alignment questions.

I don't know how low the lowest is that the subies can be set. You might try to find someone that has their car "slammed" as the Praxis system would likely allow that ... as an idea of the range of travel available. For track use though, you would lose the benefit of any suspension when riding on the rubber stops. Having been at a few different tracks ... aerodynamics is the least of my problems. Although I am considering getting a lip in front that attaches to the stock bumper ... one that I could remove when conditions require greater clearance

Maybe Dexter knows if Praxis has alignment suggestions for other height settigs.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 06 BLUE STI
Comparing this system to regular shocks, would ya'll say it is a smoother ride on the highway or straight road?

Anyone can answer this.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:11 AM

Psi,

The suspension specs, as supplied by Praxis, are as follows:

Praxis recommended specification (one-time setting done in touring mode)

Touring, Front: -1.6 deg camber, .060 inch toe-in
Touring, Rear: -.5 deg camber, .040 inch toe-out

Alignment changes as ride-height is lowered to 'Track' (these are the resultant numbers as the car is lowered 50mm to the Praxis' recommended touring mode)

Track, Front: -2.3 degree camber, .120 inch toe-out
Track, Rear: -1.4 degree camber, ~0 toe

As far as recommendations for settings if your touring height is different, that's tough. The camber and toe changes aren't perfectly linear throughout suspension travel, so using the above numbers as fuel to create a formula, it would be close but not right on the money.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone/Praxis Suspension System