Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Brakes squeaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Brakes squeaking...

I just changed my brake lines and pads about 1 month ago. Did the bleeding and bed-in process and everything seemed fine. Now I seem to get a squeaking sound from the drivers front at low speed braking or when going up the driveway or slow in parking lots. And when I'm not touching the brakes at all and just driving slow.

I got the StopTech stage one kit which has the S.S. Lines, fluid, and Axxis pads. I did talk to the guy at StopTech and he said to try the bed-in process again. But I just wondered if anyone else had any experiance with this and what I may be able to try?

Also I notice that sometimes when I do hit the brakes they tend to pull to one side or the other. Like if I take my hand of the wheel and hit the brakes that it would pull either left or right instead of braking in a straight line. It dosen't happen every time, just some times. Are the brake calipers adjustable in anyway? The pads seem to be in contact with the rotors at all times.

Well any help would be great.

Lowball
Old 05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Re: Re: Brakes squeaking...

Originally posted by DZeckhausen
[B]Try following the bed-in procedure I have on my web site: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm. It has been my experience that most people are simply not agressive enough when following the bedding procedure and if I take their car out and do it for them, the squeaking goes away. Give it a shot and see what happens.

If it doesn't work for you, there are other things to try. Often, the squealing is a high frequency fluttering of the pad in the caliper. In order to damp out those vibrations, you can apply a rubbery goo (anti-squeal compound) to the back of the pads where it comes in contact with the caliper piston in the inboard side and the caliper "fingers" on the outboard side. This damps out the vibration and stops the squeal.This is usually caused when you apply the brakes on an uneven surface, especially where the road has some crowning from heavy trucks or lots of traffic or from frost heaves if you live up north. It's completely normal. And no, the calipers are not adjustable. I suggest you don't brake hard with your hands off the wheel!
Thanks DZeckhausen. I will give it a try and let you know. I think I stated that when I did the bed-in the 1st time I had not squealing. But then after a hard braking track event I started to notice it. Hopefully the same info you stated still applies.

Lowball
Old 05-12-2003, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Re: Re: Brakes squeaking...

DZeckhausen-

Another question for you since you are from "Zeckhausen Racing". Which Axxis pad would be best for track events and would still be compatable with the stock rotors and that you can still use for street?

Thanks,

Lowball
Old 05-12-2003, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brakes squeaking...

It's possible you exceeded the MOT of your pads at the track event. Which pads did you use?
The Axxis pads that came with the StopTech Stage 1 kit. I think they were the Ultamis???

Last edited by Lowball; 05-12-2003 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brakes squeaking...

None! The Axxis Ultimate pad has an MOT of over 1,000 degrees, which is a couple hundred more than most. However, when it exceeds that MOT, it is a misbehaving pad in terms of depostion problems. In laymen's terms, this pad "poops" on your rotors and you end up with vibration and shimmy if you use it on the track.

I don't even recommend the Ultimate pads if you have the StopTech BBK and take it on the track. You might get away with it since your car is so light and (forgive me) low powered. Most of the issues come from BMW M5 owners (4100 pounds, 400 hp) who ignore me and use the Ultimate pads anyway. I strongly encourage the use of a club race type pad (e.g., Pagid Orange) for track events.

If you really, really must have a pad that you will use on the street and on the track, the Porterfield R4S may be an option. It loses friction at high tempertures and wears away rapdily, but it doesn't give you the same depostion issues as the Axxis Ultimate. If you use R-compound tires and you are an intermediate, advanced, or instructor level driver, then you may be frustrated by the pad fade you experience. But that's what you get when you use the same pad for track and street. Note: The Porterfield R4S pad should not be mistaken for the Portefield R4 pad which is a true club race pad.
Ok then, if I'm reading this correctly the Pagid Orange pads would be great for track events. So basically just change the pads the night before and then go to the event. I'm assuming they have the same bed-in procedures, yes?

Where can I get the Pagid Orange pads and is there a certian model number or is it just "Pagid Orange"?

So the Axxis Ultimate's are just a high performance street pad then right?

Will it be a waste of time to do the bed-in procedure again on the Axxis pads if the exceeded the MOT? They seem to be working great still but just the squealing at low speeds.

I also noticed all the pads on your site are Axxis. Do they carry any track pads like the Pagid Orange?

Lowball

P.S. no need to "forgive me" You are talking about an M5! It's got a 8cyl right? I hope it makes 400+hp.

Last edited by Lowball; 05-12-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Brakes squeaking...

The Pagid Orange is called the RS 4-4 compound. I don't know if they make it for the Subaru WRX front calipers or not. I can look into it and then point you to a vendor.
So Pagid Orange and RS 4-4 compound is one and the same, right? And then I guess a bunch of different companies, like Axxis, would make a pad that has that compound, right?

StopTech carries a bunch of Axxis pads as well. It looks like the ones that may work are the Axxis Race Pads, Front Pads - StopTech Club Race.

If you use Club Race pads on the front it would make common since to use club race pads on the rear as well, correct?

Thanks,

LB