Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Best Cross Drilled and vented Rotors /pads for WRX Stock setup??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:04 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Best Cross Drilled and vented Rotors /pads for WRX Stock setup??

Have a stock set up want to keep it that way for now, changing out suspension and wanted to put on new rotors and pads.. what is the best set for the money??

any input is welcome..

thanks..
Old 06-23-2004, 11:31 PM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
I recommend the Stoptech Stage 2 Brake Kit at www.mpjperformance.com. It comes w/ slotted rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads and stainless steel lines for all four corners as well as Motul RBF 600 brake fluid for less than the Cobb package.

Another choice is the setup I'm running: DBA 650 slotted rotors (front only), Hawk HPS pads (front/rear), Goodridge SS lines (front/rear), and Motul RBF 600. This setup costs just about the same as the Stoptech Kit. Good luck.

-Soren
Old 06-24-2004, 07:41 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Most guys here would recommend staying away from cross-drilled rotors since due to advances in brake pad construction a) they're not really needed anymore, b) they're mainly for looks nowadays and not function (although this is still somewhat disputed), and c) they're more prone to cracking and have worse heat dissipation qualities.

Go slotted if you're going to upgrade the rotors. Good luck - those two recommendations above are pretty good choices.

If you're not planning on changing out the rotors, a lot of people have had really good results with just an upgrade of better brake fluid (motul and Superblue come to mind), stainless steel brake lines, and better pads.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Xdrilled is definitely not necessary these days anymore.

I just installed the Stoptech Stage 1 kit plus stock diameter front rotors from www.racingbrake.com . These are tried and tested by AZP Installs here in NJ at various HPDE's like Lime Rock, Summit, Poconos, etc. and they have resisted to warping, pad transfer, etc. I can't be more pleased with these rotors, not to mention they were cheap compared to something like DBA xdrilled and slotted which I've seen crack first hand.

Last edited by InfamousDX; 07-06-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by whtwrx66
I installed a set up carbotech bobcats and some powerslot slotted rotors. What a difference they have made. I also installed some steal brakes lines, and some dot4 brake fluid. Awesome deal for the money. try subydude.com for the rotors, pades, and lines. great deal, and price includes shipping.
I'm now running a very similar set up (also from Subydude). Exact same except I'm running the slotted Racing Brake rotors. I'm very happy with the results.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Infamous, those are beauties... how much did you pay, and will they rust?

Those pix make me want to paint my brake calipers! Mine look just as weathered...

Last edited by meilers; 07-07-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
While I had my brakes apart I painted my calipers black.

Note to Subaru of America: 1 can of black high heat spray paint = $10. And I'm sure SOA can get a discount on top of that. Now ****ing paint them in the damn factory!!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by meilers
Infamous, those are beauties... how much did you pay, and will they rust?

Those pix make me want to paint my brake calipers! Mine look just as weathered...
Well let's not discuss how much I paid, but here's the breakdown for the consumer:

Street/HPDE Front WRX- $105/each
Racing/Enduro Front WRX- $165/each
Street/HPDE Rear WRX- $70
Racing/Enduro Rear WRX- $85

And no, these will not rust. Here's the description from the vendor...

Street/HPDE- These are slotted and EDP coated (non pad surfaces) and will be a perfect replacement rotor for use on street/auto-x and HPDE events w/o having the rust on the hats that you would normally see.

Racing/Enduro- Kryptonite/Nickle material slotted, non painted rotors that are built for racing. These will resist warping even in the most demanding of race/enduro situations.