Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Anyone else warpping STI rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRC STi and a Brat
Question Anyone else warpping STI rotors?

Just wondering if anyone else has been warpping STI rotors. I didn't have any problems with the stock pads and had about seven track days on them. Then I switched to Ferodo DS2500 pads and warpped the rotors after about a day and a half on the track. This has happened to me twice now. After having the rotors turned twice, I get to buy a new set of rotors next time. I'm thinking about going back to the stock pads. Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
FYI, The Ferodo pads for the STi is the same part number as the EVO front pads, and the EVO rotors have a wider surface, hence the pad is wider than the STi oem pads.

This will cause the pad to drag on the part of the rotor outside of where the pad is supposed to contact, and this extra heat could cause the rotor to warp eventually.

Also I would never recommend turning brake rotors, even on an STi, due to the fact that it will never cure warpage problems.

Considering that aftermarket front rotors cost around as much as the oem ones ($1k/set), I would recommend picking up some quality aftermarket rotors, in addition to some new aftermarket pads (NOT Ferodos!).

If I were you I would pick up some Project Mu components, I hear great things about them from people who track their cars a lot.

Hope this helps,

David
Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
well with your fat *** in the car off course threr gonna get warpped.what do you expect the car is a steel cage? nope sorry thats volvo...try losing some weight then if that dont work try stock brake pads...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:41 PM

Group B, thanks for the reply. As for A 04 GUIZE, you must have me confussed with someone else if you think I have a fat ***. And the car hasn't been off course in a long time and that was only two wheels off at that.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:28 AM

I just got off the Stoptech and Raceshopper web sites and learned that the rotors probably were not warped, I probably had an uneven transfer of material from the pads to the rotors.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by STi4WRC
I just got off the Stoptech and Raceshopper web sites and learned that the rotors probably were not warped, I probably had an uneven transfer of material from the pads to the rotors.
You're welcome.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I've read up on StopTech's rotor article, and I've seen real-life warped rotors before, so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.

Mike from Gruppe-S told me about the Ferodo Pad issue for the STi fronts, I'd double check with him.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Car Info: STI and Outback Sport
STi4WRC I assume this is you Brian?

So no fad at the track today from the ferodo 2500 but now a horrible pulse from the right front.
Tried sanding the pads pnce I got home but it is definetly in the rotor.

Time to turn the rotors and get some track pads.

Later,
John
Old 03-20-2005, 05:27 PM

actually evo and STi pads are the same width, the Evo pad is slightly thicker (2mm) - does not cause any issues. We have run a variety of pads from a bunch of firms on the STi and Evo interchangeably without issue...in fact, nearly every aftermarket pad company has the same pad for the Evo and STi (ie no car specific part #)

The problem is your pad and rotor are not cooperating well together....gotta find either:

1. pads that are a bit less harsh on the stock rotors...try the Hawk HPS, Project Mu NS, or Endless SS-S

2. learn to use less brake on track days

And yes, turning or resurfacing rotors is perfectly fine as long as you are within the min specs for thickness when you are done...if not, just toss em

adam
Old 03-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Pad deposits come from stopping the car and leaving pressure on the brakes when the pads are hot, near MOT. Make sure you NEVER do that, as it's what leads to uneven pad deposition, which is what the Stoptech warped rotor article is all about. I personally know several people tracking STis on DS2500s, one Evo owner using them on the track, and one using them on the street. None of them have had issues with "warped" rotors.

Last edited by Kevin M; 03-21-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:27 PM

Car Info: STI and Outback Sport
Yeah I realize leaving the pad on the rotor can warp it. I thought I was being careful and did do a cool down lap laying off the brakes.

Just need to be more careful. Being our parking brake is a separate drum is it OK to pull it once parked?

Turned the rotors, the right front was the real problem, the inside was warped more than the outside; the outside only had .005" of variation. Makes sense since Laguna is counterclock wise.

Still going to get track pads so they resist fade better, the STI needs a diet

John
Old 03-21-2005, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Pad deposits come from stopping the car and leaving pressure on the brakes when the pads are hot, near MOT. Make sure you NEVER do that, as it's what leads to uneven pad deposition, which is what the Stoptech warped rotor article is all about. I personally know several people tracking STis on DS2500s, one Evo owner using them on the track, and one using them on the [i]street[/]. None of them have had issues with "warped" rotors.
I'm one of them STi people. I use the DS2500's on the street and the track and they perform very well. I'm not super hard on the brakes at the track, so I haven't gone to the 3000's yet.