Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Anybody here running Koni's or Tokico D-Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Anybody here running Koni's or Tokico D-Specs?

Just curious to see if there's any local member running a Koni insert/Tokico D-Spec and spring combo? How do you like it, and what can you compare it to? I'm bored, so I'm Looking into possible new suspension options.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 AM

Car Info: 08 Evo X
I was talking to some guys on iwsti about going with an ohlins + RCE yellows and they said that was really good but pricey and they suggested the Koni inserts so I'm guessing the koni's are pretty good to be suggested as a sub for ohlins... Sorry this probably didn't help much just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I'm going Sprint Springs with Tokico D-Specs soon.

They come recommended for my use (street plus Track). The guys www.turninconcepts.com said the D-Specs have a nice ride.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 AM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Brandon, if you do street+track, I'd say stick with the SS-Ps and EDFC, you can adjust your damping depending on what you do. I'd find that the most convenient because you would have a different setting for street than you would for the track, but thats just my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 AM
banned

Car Info: .
I also hear that the Tokicos ride well (from TIC) when matched with most springs available.

On a side note, if you go the coilover route, I would highly recommend trying a european valved coilover, such as KW or even AST. They tend to run softer springs with better dampeners and generally last longer.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bpang1
I'm going Sprint Springs with Tokico D-Specs soon.

They come recommended for my use (street plus Track). The guys www.turninconcepts.com said the D-Specs have a nice ride.
Originally Posted by reid-o
I also hear that the Tokicos ride well (from TIC) when matched with most springs available.
Yeah, I've heard pretty good things about the D-Spec's too. I have heard of them also having clunking issues, but that seems to be a hit and miss kind of thing. I was either thinking of possibly the Swift or the RCE wagon specific springs with either the Koni's or D-Specs. I'm a little leary of hacking my stock strut to do the Koni insert though. Anybody done this before? The D-Spec seem like an easier option, although the Koni offers more adjustability.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
banned

Car Info: .
I've done it for other cars before, and while not hard, its worth/value is dependent on your expectations. If you simply want a good dampener for a good ride, then I think the Dspec is better. But if you want to be able to rebuild and revalve, then the koni is better. Of everyone on the board, you definitely have the tools do it, though.
I think one plus of going to the koni route is also that the Konis will have better resale value once you convert your struts.

If you have an 04, then you can get the Scooby921 (click) bushings from TIC to eliminate the clunk with the dspec. It's definitely an easier solution, and I'd think the performance would be similar. But I know for a fact that the DSPECs cannot accept an aftermarket camber plate if you intend to mount the 04 tops.
So that may be a deciding factor--negative camber ftw.

Last edited by reid-o; 03-10-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by reid-o
I've done it for other cars before, and while not hard, its worth/value is dependent on your expectations. If you simply want a good dampener for a good ride, then I think the Dspec is better. But if you want to be able to rebuild and revalve, then the koni is better. Of everyone on the board, you definitely have the tools do it, though.
I think one plus of going to the koni route is also that the Konis will have better resale value once you convert your struts.

If you have an 04, then you can get the Scooby921 (click) bushings from TIC to eliminate the clunk with the dspec. It's definitely an easier solution, and I'd think the performance would be similar. But I know for a fact that the DSPECs cannot accept an aftermarket camber plate if you intend to mount the 04 tops.
So that may be a deciding factor--negative camber ftw.
Thanks for all the info Reid. I know you know your stuff too! I'll be honest, for what I'm doing with my car, I think the D-Spec's are the way to go. They're cheaper, and definitely much easier to install. I would also like to keep my stock stuff in case I decide to sell the car in the future. As for top hats, I'll probably run the stocks with the Scooby921 spacers for now.....maybe Group N's down the line. Not too sure if I even need any negative camber for my "granny style, straight line driving" ***! LOL!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: every subaru ever
TIC is working on a custom top nut to allow the D-Specs to work with Whiteline and RCE camber plates.

Since they sell D-Specs too now you'd be crazy not to get them from there since they make the spacers required for the rear on 04+ cars and they know what they are talking about. They carry some springs too.

- Andrew
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering
TIC is working on a custom top nut to allow the D-Specs to work with Whiteline and RCE camber plates.

Since they sell D-Specs too now you'd be crazy not to get them from there since they make the spacers required for the rear on 04+ cars and they know what they are talking about. They carry some springs too.

- Andrew
Thanks Andrew
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
I think you PM'ed me about this...but I'll post just in case.

I was running Koni adjustables with H&R OE Sport springs and it was a really nice setup. I recently changed the springs to OE STI Spec-C springs with my Koni's so I can stop scraping my V-Limited lip going in and out of steep driveways. Also gave me a chance to swap out my housings for powder coated ones to "pretty them up" a bit.

Name:  IMG_6032.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6131.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  71.6 KB

Someone above spoke of the TIC/Scooby921 spacers...I'm using something very similar that I've had machined at a machine shop on my Konis since the used set I bought was from a 2003 WRX and it works perfectly with my 2004+ springs and tophats.

Name:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  63.0 KB

I'd definitely recommend Koni yellows. My only complaint would be a lack of an easy way to adjust the rears without pulling the rear seats out. Tokico has a really cool adjustment extension made for the RX7 that people have been using on Subies. I even purchased a set in case I went the Tokico route (which reminds me I need to post it for sale now.) Other than that I love the Koni's. Much smoother ride than the OE shocks with the flexibility of adjustment to whatever springs you decide to use.

Good luck!