Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

aftermarket quick ratio steering???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Ash

Car Info: 02 WRX wgn full STI swap
aftermarket quick ratio steering???

Does anyone know who makes an aftermarket steering rack??? My wagon's rack needs replacement and I'd like upgrade. I wonder if the STI rack would fit?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Ash
Old 08-28-2005, 04:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I think the STi rack will fit. I heard that the STi rack was used in the 9-2x, so if that's true, it should definitely fit.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Ash

I'm going to price an STI rack today. The USDM STI has the 13:1 ratio right? I know the WRX is 15:1. We'll see.

Ash
Old 08-29-2005, 09:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
RevLab makes an aftermarket quick steer rack in 12.5:1 and 11.5:1.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Ash

cool! thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:48 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Ash
I'm going to price an STI rack today. The USDM STI has the 13:1 ratio right? I know the WRX is 15:1.
STi rack ratio is 15.2:1. MY02 through MY04 WRX is 16.5:1. MY06 WRX will have 15.0:1, though you'd never be able to notice the difference between it and the STi rack ratio.

Using forum Search feature and keywords 'steering rack', I found a thread about aftermarket racks.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Ash

So I drove my friends STI last night to see the difference and it's noticably faster. The spec C has a 13:1 ratio. After feeling the differnce between the STI and stock 02 wagon I think that might be too much. I called a local dealer and a new STI rack can be ordered for $610 (half the price of the aftermarket one). When I called they asked for the vin of the STI to match the part number with the manufacturing date of the car. This means there is some difference between some STI racks and others.

Does anyone have any Idea what this differnce is?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Ash

Well... Just thought I would update. I ordered the STI steering rack for $610 plus tax and $50 for faster shipping to get it here for the track day in a week and a half. There was two part numbers in his computer and I opted for the earliest version thinking this would more likely fit right into the WRX wagon (and be 15:1 instead of 15.2:1). It appears that it comes with everything including the ball joints at the end of the adjusters. Replacing those will take some special tools I think. If I not in too big of a rush to get it in I'll try to post some pics and instructions on scoobymods.

Wish me luck,

Ash
Old 09-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Ash
If I not in too big of a rush to get it in I'll try to post some pics and instructions on scoobymods.
That would be great if you could do that, thanks.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Ash

Okay, The STI steering rack is in (part # 34110 FE431). It was a direct bolt in. I was going to take pics and write instructions... But the factory manual pretty much covers it. I would recomend having a good assortment of wrenchs for the job because there's a few fasteners that are hard to get to.

So I eyeballed the toe angle and took it for a 60 mile canyon drive (getting an alignment tomorrow). The difference is amzing. This is deffinitely a worthy mod for any suby. It took the car from "fast around corners" to "shifter cart" feel. While it's not the first $600 I would spend if my car was stock. I would surely do it again. I can't wait to get to the race track day after tomorrow.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM. I hope this thread is usefull down the road.

Cheers,

Ash
Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 04 Red Impreza, 84 Levin GT-SR5
I just installed the L & E quick column (previously sold by Crucial Racing) on my 16:1 MY04 to 11.5:1 and it feels noticiably faster, even compared to STi. The only drawback would be increased steering effort, almost feels like driving a car w/o power steering. Haven't had a chance to run it up any nice roads, but just driving around town i'm going to have to readjust my driving habits/technique due the quick response. Overall, i would recommend it, unless you have girly arms. j/k
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 03 Blu WRX, vf 34, headers, catless, gc coilovers, f/r sways
Originally Posted by Ash
Okay, The STI steering rack is in (part # 34110 FE431). It was a direct bolt in.
So this s/b a direct bolt in for an '03 sedan as well?

Was this a one man install?

Any special tools used?

Any idea what the "other part number" was that on the dealers computer?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Ash

Originally Posted by WillysPU
So this s/b a direct bolt in for an '03 sedan as well?

Was this a one man install?

Any special tools used?

Any idea what the "other part number" was that on the dealers computer?

Thanks!

Forget that last PM I sent you... I've decided I would miss my wrx too much to get rid of it. I installed the steering rack myself in about four hours (taking my time) You need to remove several parts that can be stubborn.

For the tie rod ends just use a hammer and a punch (carefull not to damage the threads)

Buy and install aftermarket steering bushings because they are cheap and you'll have the hole thing apart anyway.

Dont remove all the tubing on the steering column like the manual says. It just makes a mess and the new ones are preassembled on the new rack. You only have to take out the mounting bolts that hold them in place.

You should have a good assortment wrenches. I only used the ratchet ones in a couple places but I switched back and forth with normal 18pts and stubbies alot.

A second person would have made it easier when first lifting the rack into place and securing the fist couple bolts... It's pretty heavy for one hand when you're on your back. Also for holding the steering wheel staight and checking to see if it's centered.

Hope this helps,

Ash
Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM

I have a MY04 RS. Is the steering rack in my 04 RS the same as the 02 WRX (that's what Ash's profile says)? I know they have the same ratio, but you never know! I actually was told that you had to replace the pinion from the STi with the one from the stock RS rack...any truth?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:51 AM

Car Info: MY98 Wagon. Whiteline, AGX, H&S, JDM 6MD DCCD, Exedy Hyper Single
Old thread...is the STI steering rack a noticeable improvement from the WRX one? Worth the money?

Quick Reply: aftermarket quick ratio steering???