Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Aftermarket Pillowball Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 AM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Aftermarket Pillowball Mounts

I'm thinking about getting coilovers sometime in the nearby future so my question is.... are aftermarket pillowball mounts really worth the extra cost or would i be alright if I left the OEM ones on?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
It is worth to have, especially, if you intend to lower your car beyond an inch. Let's say 1.25 and beyond.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
It depends on what your use for the car is and your goals. If it is strictly a street car, I would say absolutely not. Some gruppe n mounts would be your best option but factory are ok. Another good option for a strictly street car is the noltec camber/castor plate with urethane surround pillowball. The problem with pillowballs is the street can be hard on them and they give a little increase to NVH with only a small gain in handling.

The flip side of this is that pillow ball camber plates off increased range of alignment which can have a dramatic effect on handling. If you plan to track your car at all, i would highly recommend at least front camber plates. Another thing to consider is that most coilovers come standard with pillowball mounts. Its generally the higher end ones and super low end ones that do not

Let us know a little more about your plans for the car
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Definitely get upgraded mounts, either Group-N or street pillowballs like the Noltec plates mentioned above. If you don't upgrade the mounts and have uprated dampers and springs, you will get the freeway bounce!

The car will have undamped oscillations when you go at certain speeds and hit certain sizes of bumps. Some people don't care, but it annoyed the heck out of me. After switching the mounts, the car rides like it should. Road noise increased slightly; it kind of sounds like when your tires are over-inflated.