Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

AEM Brake upgrades, Are they worth Anything???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, Black, 6spd
AEM Brake upgrades, Are they worth Anything???

Hey I was researching the AEM rotor upgrades for my WRX, but no one can specify what size they are in relation to the stock rotors. Does anyone have experiance with these and are they worth the time? Should I save up the cash and just put on huge fronts? I truely doubt that my car will ever make it to a track, but I do auto cross it.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
mmm... I'd say no. I'm sure it's better than stock, but why don't you start out with these things first:

- Pads (something like Axxis Ultimates)
-FLuid (something like Ate Super Blue Racing)
-Lines ( Good ridge)
- MRT master cylinder bracket.

Your car's braking will feel totally new, and it will suit you VERY well at AutoX

-Gagan
Old 01-03-2004, 07:05 AM

Oh I was planning on doing that anyway with the rotor upgrades, But I really want to know how big they are?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:26 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Beware the MRT bracket....see the "brake pedal floor brace' thread.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:59 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
I've had the AEM's both front and back on my car for about 6 months now. I recommend upgrading the pads with them. Braking feels alot more even over stock and once they're warmed up they seem to stop the car quicker over stock. I have 18' wheels so they look a lot better than stock, that's why I got them. I think you'll need at least 17' wheels for them to fit. I did have to have the front calipers grinded down slightly for them to fit, it'll depend what version of caliper you have on the car.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:23 PM

Do you know what size rotors are included with the kit. Just wondering if their a noticable increase in size.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
AEM pads are better than stock but I like the axxis pads more. lasted longer too. And you can get axxis pads cheaper.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:51 PM

There is definitely a noticeable size difference, I don't know the exact dimensions, but put side by side you can notice a big difference (at least another inch in diameter). I got them because I have 18" wheels and the stocks looked a little funny, but the AEM's look much nicer.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:13 PM

Car Info: '01 RS BRP
Originally posted by DSMwPSI
There is definitely a noticeable size difference, I don't know the exact dimensions, but put side by side you can notice a big difference (at least another inch in diameter). I got them because I have 18" wheels and the stocks looked a little funny, but the AEM's look much nicer.
Could you post pics of your current setup?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:46 PM

I currently don't have any good pics of them, the cars in the stereo shop getting a new custom trunk so I won't be able to post anything for at least a few days, or I'll have an excuse to go down to shop to take some photos and make sure they're working on the car. Here's my link though to Car Domain on page 5 the last pic, you can barely see them if you enlarge the photo. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/382709/5
Old 01-10-2004, 12:21 AM

Car Info: sti wrb
are those all autometer guages? and is that a full pillar from autometer too? where can i get what you have there. i like the whole color setup too. did you need to paint it or was it already painted?

Originally posted by DSMwPSI
I currently don't have any good pics of them, the cars in the stereo shop getting a new custom trunk so I won't be able to post anything for at least a few days, or I'll have an excuse to go down to shop to take some photos and make sure they're working on the car. Here's my link though to Car Domain on page 5 the last pic, you can barely see them if you enlarge the photo. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/382709/5
Old 01-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
AEM brake upgrade is nice. Combined with nice pads and line it will be better than stock. Since you will still have same pad contant area, you will not really improve cold braking. However, due to larger rotor size, this kit will greatly improve your braking on the track. Also, IIRC, the AEM rotors are lighter than stock due to their 2-peice desing.

About brake master cylinder stopper. The MRT one is 2-peice and will require an engineering degree to install it. It also doesnt fit that good afterall.

CUSCO is going to release their master cylinder stopper shortly. I helped them design it and after test fitting it on my car, it works and fits great. It is a one peice desing that can be installed in minutes and not hours.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Yeah, I've heard horror stories about the MRT brace. Best bet is to stay away.

However, if your car isn't ever, or rarely going to see the track, then why bother with big brakes? (read: $$$).

I say just get some nice slotted rotors (DBA's), with some more aggressive pads. If you are really set on getting bigger brakes, why not go for the subaru 4 pot brake kit with bigger AEM rotors? That'll give you bigger looking brakes with increased performance.

PS: If you want really, REALLY aggressive brake pads, go for the BOZZ SPEED pads... unlike any other pad in the world.. they pull the fillings out from your teeth. They work great when they are cold too, which is a plus for autoX. I don't recommend using them on a daily basis though, as they are VERY loud (squeel and grind), and eat up rotors like there is no tomorrow.

Take care,

Daniel
Old 01-10-2004, 01:31 AM

Car Info: '01 RS BRP
Thumbs up

Nice Ride DSMwPSI. They seem pretty large, but it could be also the angle of the pic. Either way keep up the good work.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:06 PM

are those all autometer guages? and is that a full pillar from autometer too? where can i get what you have there. i like the whole color setup too. did you need to paint it or was it already painted?
Yes they are all Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges, Boost, EGT, and A/F. It is also an Autometer Pillar. The pillar was black so it did have to be painted. I purchased the guage set-up piece by piece from E-Bay.

Thanks for the compliments, I'll have to update the pics though, I've done quite a bit more to the car since those pics.

Quick Reply: AEM Brake upgrades, Are they worth Anything???