Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

1G possible for WRX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 02:27 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
They use RA-1s, which are good tires but not at the level of a true R-compound.
For some reason, I think people mean DOT-legal tires when they talk about r-compound tires around here. It's essentially pointless for people who don't actually race (meaning actual competition) on road courses to use real race rubber. Most of us can't afford it, and most people who race can't either.

IF you wanted to pull a "G" one thing that would get you most of the way there is a set of soft compound Hoosier or Michelin slicks. Anyone see the ALMS race on Speed just now? Pretty much everyone was running the Michelins.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:27 PM

Well tuned coilovers, Swaybars adn ultra high perf tires 1G no problem. Add Hoosiers and you can do it wtih stock suspension
Old 07-18-2004, 05:36 PM
@Stoptech

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. If the Vishnu car with custom tuned JIC coilovers and RA-1s can't pull a G, then you're sure not going to be able to do it with UHP tires and coilovers. Then again, it's not really worth arguing something that's pointless in the first place, so you can just ignore me if you want.

Tim
www.stoptech.com
Old 07-18-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steppin Razor
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. If the Vishnu car with custom tuned JIC coilovers and RA-1s can't pull a G, then you're sure not going to be able to do it with UHP tires and coilovers. Then again, it's not really worth arguing something that's pointless in the first place, so you can just ignore me if you want.

Tim
www.stoptech.com

So you're telling me that Tom Hoppe can't get 1G on his car.

There's a lot to be said to the mind behind the suspension tuning. And from everything I see and hear he has it. He runs UHP tires.

Joe

Last edited by cooleyjb; 07-18-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:10 PM
@Stoptech

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
So you're telling me that Tom Hoppe can't get 1G on his car.

There's a lot to be said to the mind behind the suspension tuning. And from everything I see and hear he has it. He runs UHP tires.

Joe
It's funny you mention that because I just spoke with Tom a couple days ago at work.

What did you mean when you said, "There's a lot to be said to the mind behind the suspension tuning."? Who has all these things to say to Tom?

Do you mean, "There's a lot to be said *about* the mind behind the suspension tuning?"

Tim
www.stoptech.com
Old 07-19-2004, 07:15 AM

It's funny you mention that because I just spoke with Tom a couple days ago at work.

What did you mean when you said, "There's a lot to be said to the mind behind the suspension tuning."? Who has all these things to say to Tom?

Do you mean, "There's a lot to be said *about* the mind behind the suspension tuning?"

Tim
www.stoptech.com

"about the" whoops. You knew what I meant. However this isn't english class thank goodness and you didn't address whether or not you think his car with the quality of suspension of Tom's could get to 1G on a skid pad. Do you?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:19 AM
@Stoptech

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
"about the" whoops. You knew what I meant. However this isn't english class thank goodness and you didn't address whether or not you think his car with the quality of suspension of Tom's could get to 1G on a skid pad. Do you?
It would be pretty silly of me to say that I don't think it could now, wouldn't it? I don't know anything about the suspension he's running on that car, but it would surprise me if it could pull 1.0G on UHP tires. Do you know anything else about his setup? Tires, suspension, etc?

Tim
Old 07-19-2004, 08:41 AM

www.tomhoppe.com has all his info

but quickly it has pretty much everything you'd ever need. swaybars camber plates well tested alignment coilovers big springs camber plates etc. My thought is that the Vishnu car is more of a show and go fast car which is why it couldn't do it.

However I can also go on and say like you said earlier that skid pad rating a bit of a joke.

I've driven a car on 3 different surfaces and felt big differences in stick. I've driven the same setup on the same surface at different temps and felt differences. People like Road and Track do a generally good job and minmizing all the outside influences. As far as I know they run the tests at the same place and since they are in SoCal the weather doesn't change as much as the rest of the country usually.

Joe
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 AM
@Stoptech

So does the car "pull a G?"

Tim
Old 07-19-2004, 10:06 AM

So does the car "pull a G?"

Tim
Turning, Acceleration or Braking??