Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

'03 WRX Replacement Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
'03 WRX Replacement Struts

I need to replace my struts the whole way around my '03 Rex and I was wondering if it would be better to replace them with some aftermarket company or if going the stock way would be better. I'm not looking to break the bank and I have a buddy to help me with the install but looking on the Subaru website I found that the 4 stock struts will run me about $654 pre tax and shipping.

Any other companies I should be looking at that may have some replacements around the same price as the stock ones?

I also thought about eBay but I'm always a little skeptical about buying auto parts from there.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
KYB, Excell-G or GR-2(Excell-G are the same as GR-2 as per KYB themselves, so you can look them up under either name). Would be a better choice than the stock units. KYB is the OEM manufacture for your car(they made the stock units). These are a great replacement for the stock units. Just a touch firmer than stock. They can be had for less then the OEM units too. Less than $500 for all 4. Much better than the actual OEM units. If you wanted a mild performance spring these struts will accept that will no problems. I do stress mild though.
So there you go, better than stock and Cheaper too.

Edit- Tire Rack has them for about $110 each. You can probably find them even cheaper if you really look around.

Last edited by bikelok; 04-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by bikelok
KYB, Excell-G or GR-2(Excell-G are the same as GR-2 as per KYB themselves, so you can look them up under either name). Would be a better choice than the stock units. KYB is the OEM manufacture for your car(they made the stock units). These are a great replacement for the stock units. Just a touch firmer than stock. They can be had for less then the OEM units too. Less than $500 for all 4. Much better than the actual OEM units. If you wanted a mild performance spring these struts will accept that will no problems. I do stress mild though.
So there you go, better than stock and Cheaper too.

Edit- Tire Rack has them for about $110 each. You can probably find them even cheaper if you really look around.
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. This is why I love this forum.