Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

WRX: Oil smoke at startup- anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
WRX: Oil smoke at startup- anyone else?

So I've had an intermittent cold start cloud of oil smoke (one puff of blue smoke that lingers and makes you want to vomit). It started at about 40k miles, and only happens when it is 60 degrees or less out and the car has sat at least 4 hours... and is somewhat intermittent at that.

From doing mechanic work years ago, this is almost always a sign of valve seal leakage, as there is no noticeable loss or consumption of oil over an oil change period.

Any chance this could be something else, such as oil leaking inside the turbo? The only reason it seems isolated to the valve guides/seals is because I don't notice any oil consumption.

Oh, and I've changed the oil religiously in this car, and it is unmodded.

I've got 50k now so I need to take it to the dealer, but I DREAD having them disect my car.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:09 PM

Seems like the valve seals, since it only does it in cold mornings and desipates when it reaches operating temp. If it was the turbo, you'll be probably smoking during idle and acceleration. Then again, I might be wrong. Good luck man.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

obviously theres oil leaking into the engine. so either a head gasket failure, or valve seal. so your lookin prolly around 1g for a fix professionally done. unless u know how to do it
oh yea i dont think it could b the turbo cuz if it does it at startup the turbo aint really spoolin. or doin n e thin at all so yea.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by NeRdY DoRkUs
obviously theres oil leaking into the engine. so either a head gasket failure, or valve seal. so your lookin prolly around 1g for a fix professionally done. unless u know how to do it
oh yea i dont think it could b the turbo cuz if it does it at startup the turbo aint really spoolin. or doin n e thin at all so yea.
Well luckily it's covered under the powertrain 60k warranty (if they can reproduce it). I hope they don't disect half the car before finding the cause.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:47 PM

If it's the head gasket, pop the oil cap off while the vehicle is running, check to see if you have blow-by coming out of that oil filler neck.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I have the same problem (fits your description to the T) but it does it very randomly. And it does it when it's warm outside too. Problem is that the dealership could not find any leaks.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
I have the same problem (fits your description to the T) but it does it very randomly. And it does it when it's warm outside too. Problem is that the dealership could not find any leaks.
If it is a valve seal, there won't be any external leak. The oil is likely getty by the valve seal, then it passes through the valve guide, past the valve, and into the cylinder.

I would be willing to bet that it's just one valve seal that's doing it, not a bunch of them. There is not a lot of smoke, but just enough to notice it. Make sure you get it documented while under warranty, so if it gets worse you can sue the living crap out of them.. I mean get them to pay for repairs.

The funny thing is that dealers will gladly charge you to fix it once you are out of warranty.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
If it is a valve seal, there won't be any external leak. The oil is likely getty by the valve seal, then it passes through the valve guide, past the valve, and into the cylinder.

I would be willing to bet that it's just one valve seal that's doing it, not a bunch of them. There is not a lot of smoke, but just enough to notice it. Make sure you get it documented while under warranty, so if it gets worse you can sue the living crap out of them.. I mean get them to pay for repairs.

The funny thing is that dealers will gladly charge you to fix it once you are out of warranty.
Yes yes, I know what a valve seal leak is. And I did tell them that's probably what it was. They still didn't fix anything.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Yes yes, I know what a valve seal leak is. And I did tell them that's probably what it was. They still didn't fix anything.
Well, as long as you have it well documented before your warranty expires, you are good to go if it gets worse down the road.