Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

WRX or 2.5RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 2010 Forester XT
WRX or 2.5RS?

Hey everybody.

I know i want a suby, but cant decide between the rex or rs. The rex has power and some extra goodies, but the rs is cheaper, can get a turbo for, and can make more hp/torque than the rex. Price wise, i think the rs-turbo would be a bit cheaper than buying a rex. Still, i've heard some stuff about trannies breaking and how its not good to turbo the rs. That got me kinda thinking if its a good idea. Can anyone give some clarification to this topic? My main concern is the durability and dependability of the rs or wrx. Any help would be widely appreciated. Thanks.

-Andrew-
Old 02-17-2004, 01:50 PM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
Re: WRX or 2.5RS?

Originally posted by RacinConcept
My main concern is the durability and dependability of the rs or wrx.
If you are concerned w/ reliability and cost, just get a WRX instead of an RS if you're planning on running a turbo. You get a warranty w/ the WRX, none if you add a turbo to an RS. If ever you really want to gain power, their are plenty of bolt-ons and reflashes available for the WRX. You can even buy a 2.5 block and build yourself a hybrid. Just my $0.2.

-Soren
Old 02-18-2004, 12:55 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
keep in mind

that there is more than engine size and turbo that separates the two. if you go wrx there is minimal that you will really have to spend on mods to get noticeable gains in power. with a rs you might have spend a lot more. if you were already on planning on spending lots of $$ anyway(on mods) then go rs. its a lot easier(IMO) to go wrx and find a 2.5 block in the future if you really wanted to. thats my $.02
Old 02-22-2004, 07:59 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I'm going against the crowd here,

Buy the RS, hell even a L from the GC chassis era. You may end up puting more work into it to get it just as fast, but in the end you will be more happy with the coupe style (or wagon like myself and IMO the styling of those cars is much better than the buggeyed or 04 model.

Plus, there were a lot less RS' made than WRX's so it is more rare, plus if you seriously mod it with the money you saved you can make it as fast or faster than a WRX (hell even a STi)
Old 02-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 1985 Corolla AE82 FWD
Don't know if this is an issue for ya, but I would think the insurance on a WRX would probably be quite a bit higher than an RS.

Just something else to factor in.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
IMO it all boils down to this.... are you the kinda guy that wants to set yourself apart from the rest? if u are then go rs(or l-likestifan said) when you finally complete your car the way you would want it- you can say I did this. this is MY car and not some factory car that i just threw some parts in. If i had the money/time/knowledge i would take a gutted out rs and build from scratch= equals personality. . . das just me.