Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

WRB paint on used '03 is bad - dealer responsible? (was: Help? What can I do?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Help? What can I do?

I purchased my 03 WRB wrx used last year. The car looked fine when I checked it out and the dealership provided a carfax report showing the car wasnt in any major (reported) accidents.

Few months ago the paint on the bumpers began to peel and they look aweful, looks like the plastic wasn't even preped. On top of that the engine bay is a very different color than the rest of the car (by several shades of blue, its almost the blue from the older impreza 2.5rs). this really concerns me that this car has been repainted and possiblity in a major accident.

I purcashed a spoiler for it, prepainted WRB, and instaled it, but it was significantly darker than the body paint.

I oringally attributed this to SUN damage, fading, etc. But Since I've had it its parked in a garage both at home and at work. I wouldnt imagine a car would fade that much in 2.5 years...

So I've had it for a year, and the paint is horrible. Any suggestions on what can be done?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Car Info: wrx
well original subaru paints are known to be kinda crapy first off. maybe the wrong kind of soap was used? I guess you can repaint it. nothing really else to fix it.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:34 PM

hmm

Its not so much how to fix this, as it is I think i've been screwed by the dealership and sold a car that was in a major accident. I've had a few shops look at it and they said the car has definally been in an accident and repainted. These types of things should have been reported to DMV but weren't. Heck the engine bay is a very different color from the rest of the car.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
The dealership is supposed to show proof of documentation if the vehicle had more than $500 worth of damage at one time, if it had a bunch of minor accidents I am not sure whether the dealership is supposed to disclose any info. But I do know if there was any more than $500 worth of damage the dealer has to tell you, they are binded by contract, I work for Nissan and see these kind of things all day. If we ever get a car in that has had more than $1,000 worth of damage we whole sale it so we don't have any further issues in the future. But as far as the paint goes I know what your going through, I have a Obsedian Black 02 WRX and I wax it every Saturday morning, it is garaged and I only drive it on the weekends the roof has paint coming off it in marble sized spots! I take extremely good care of my car and the paint still sucks. It's just unfortunate.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 blue wrx
my hood scoop on '02 wrx is bubbling and peeling all over. these paint jobs suck.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:07 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by IkeJ
my hood scoop on '02 wrx is bubbling and peeling all over. these paint jobs suck.
The paint on my Aspen White '02 is okay. It would be better if I kept it clean and waxed it more often but during the summer it bakes in the sun when the temps are 95° measured in the shade - no shade in my workplace lot, but at least I garage it when I get home.

Have you washed and waxed your '02 regularly since it was new? Do you garage it when it is at home?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 blue wrx
I do wash & wax regulary, but i dont have a garage, or any cover, and it's hot as hell in Fla in the summer, but it doesnt make it right that the paint is bubbling and chipping.
Does anone know how long warranty covers the paint?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
It could be that the previous owner had the car repainted before you came along and the wrong paint was used.....as far as the engine bay being a different color, all car companies use a different color for the chassis, it wouldn't be cost effective to paint the entire chassis of the car wrblue.....maybe the car was keyed and every body panel got hit up.