Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

What are the pros/cons of using an auto broker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:25 PM

What are the pros/cons of using an auto broker?

I'm pretty sure using an auto broker requires you to buy the car outright. Which is fine. I'm shopping for a new car and the car salesman at the lots I've been to have made me consider using a broker.

Just curious of anyone's experience using a broker. And is it a better deal?
Can you recommend one? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
You won't get the best price possible with a broker because the dealer has to pay the broker.

The broker basically buys the car from the dealer and sells it to you for whatever price you and the broker agree upon.

The pro for the broker route is not talking to a salesperson.

The con is that it's usually a higher price

The better route would be to do all your negotiation over the internet so you don't have to deal with the "what can we sell you today" attitude.

I'm an internet salesperson right now as many people in SRIC know but I think everyone will back me up that it's the best way to go.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
internet purchase = win.

They start you out at a lower price than the regular sales guys will and you can do all your negotiating through email and show up with the deal basically done. That's how I bought my last car - figured out price and options over the phone, then cruised in, signed some papers and bailed. Was real nice
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by EricDaRed81
You won't get the best price possible with a broker because the dealer has to pay the broker.
I disagree. The broker works for YOU, not for the dealer; if they want your business, they will try to find you the lowest price. I used the broker through my bank and he bought my 02 WRX (the third one sold in my state, EARLY 02) for FLEET pricing, because the dealership didn't yet know what the demand for the car would be. He probably saved me $2800 or more.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by meilers
I disagree. The broker works for YOU, not for the dealer; if they want your business, they will try to find you the lowest price. I used the broker through my bank and he bought my 02 WRX (the third one sold in my state, EARLY 02) for FLEET pricing, because the dealership didn't yet know what the demand for the car would be. He probably saved me $2800 or more.
That doesn't change the fact that the broker still made money.

Whatever money that the broker made could have been an even bigger discount to you.

Basically the only time a broker is good is when the buyer doesn't know what price he or she should pay.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys. This is very useful information. I'm going to try the internet purchase, I think it will save me some money. I'll follow up with my results.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by EricDaRed81
That doesn't change the fact that the broker still made money.

Whatever money that the broker made could have been an even bigger discount to you.

Basically the only time a broker is good is when the buyer doesn't know what price he or she should pay.
I saved $2800 over list, at a time when there was NO WAY the car would be selling for anything less than sticker, considering it was a new model just weeks after the US debut. If a broker can pull that off and still get paid, that works for me.