Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 07:55 PM

the only thing i dont like about it is that i dont have one (sorry that was no help)
Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
i have a 2005 STi

+: fast (understatement, faster than my 2001 m3 i think until triple digit speeds), fun (nothing can shake its balance), handles like a total and complete DREAM and brakes on a dime. great track car. lots of positive comments from kids at my high school. practical. large trunk. great seats.
-: CRAPPY fuel mileage (16-18mpg avg tanks), rattles, and cheap ghetto plastic feel to everything... sit in a BMW E46 3 series and you'll know what I mean when you hop in a WRX... it doesnt FEEL safe though tests say it is... the doors weigh next to nothing, negative attention (cops just look for an excuse to pull me over and my teacher told me my wing was ridiculous and just dragged my car back at speed), girls dont think its anything special... they loved my M3 tho.

dunno. for $35k there are more baller cars to be had but i still like my STi.

edit: the STi is my daily driver. this is after having put 6k miles on it in 2 1/2 months.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:24 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
That I feel it is becoming the next Honda Civic....
Old 08-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
my friend has an '04 WRX, and the hesitation problem went away by installing the Perrin crank pulley.

It's not an underdriven pulley, just a really lightweight one, like 10lbs. less than stock.

STi Group N motor and tranny mounts also fix most remaining hesitation problems, since the stock ones are so soft.

David

Originally Posted by Bagelw
The only thing I don't like about my 04 is the nasty hesitation when gradually accelerating. I was hoping it would go away after the car was broken in real well but now at 10,000+ miles the problem still exists. Also I've got a case of the "memory steer" but I've got the whiteline bushings laying on my desk just haven't had time to install them yet. My AccessPort should resolve the hesitation problem whenever it's finally shipped to me.

I really think Subaru should do something to address these problems but I guess it just gives me the excuse to get some better parts for it.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by resident smurf
i have a 2005 STi

rattles, and cheap ghetto plastic feel to everything... sit in a BMW E46 3 series and you'll know what I mean when you hop in a WRX...
Your wallet will surely know the difference too..

Originally Posted by resident smurf
it doesnt FEEL safe though tests say it is... the doors weigh next to nothing, negative attention (cops just look for an excuse to pull me over and my teacher told me my wing was ridiculous and just dragged my car back at speed), girls dont think its anything special... they loved my M3 tho.

dunno. for $35k there are more baller cars to be had but i still like my STi.
It is safe. I had an accident in my WRX that was pretty decent and I didn't even feel the impact. The following day - no soreness, no injuries, NOTHING. This car is incredibly safe. I love it.

And who cares if girls don't like it? And surely there are more "baller" cars to buy for a simlar cost, however they'll all be sucking your exhaust as you fly by them.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:24 AM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by silver satin
That I feel it is becoming the next Honda Civic....
if you're looking for an exclusive car, a $24k econobox with a turbo will not fit that bill. aim upwards and get yourself a lotus or an italian "thoroughbred." then again, if we had that kind of money, we wouldn't be here talking about a WRX.

what i don't like...the wrx tranny. some have dismissed it as tranny paranoia, but the cruddy feel of the tranny cannot be denied. let the # of WRX owners ditching their cars speak for itself.

this post wasn't written to revive the controversy...many skirmishes have already taken place on whether the wrx has tranny issues. i think you have to be a diehard subaru lover to say that the tranny DOES NOT FEEL GOOD. note that i am ONLY addressing the feel of shifting and not mechanical issues.

having said that, after 45K miles on my tranny, i think it has finally broken in. LOL. shifting has felt much better the last couple of weeks. despite the glaring oversight by subaru, i am still in love with the AWD, performance, and looks of my car. for $24k, i don't think you can do much better than what this car has to offer.

db

Last edited by doughboy; 08-31-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:36 PM

Car Info: sti
had 02wrx.all i can say is that i had allot of tranny problems(broke).engine misfiring,and also turbo broke.so my advice to all,if you go whit a impreza go fo STI. i haven't herd anybody complaining about any problems yet(mechanical that is)
Old 12-31-2004, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 2.2L WITH STAGE 2 FORCED INDUCTION
Talking

hey all, i have a 2004 wrb wrx. 18,000 miles of driving goodness!! i have a forced air technologies tbe, up pipe and am having the restrictor plate removed. love this car!! it's my 3rd subaru, plus i now live in naples fla, so the car becomes some what of a rareity.

cheers and good hunting, todd
Old 01-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
For me, sometimes its hard to shift into first while rolling, the crap stock deck, cramped engine bay. Other than that, love it. Its really a unique car that sets you apart from "the crowd."
Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 04 Red Impreza, 84 Levin GT-SR5
they should make the 6speed standard instead of even having the 5. it feels so much better.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:55 AM

the body dents too easy.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: '02 Bugeye
Tryed selling my O2 Rex to bump up to an STI, but all the offers made me laugh.
Never had an issue with the Tranny. Only issues where the paint chips on the hood and the poor gas mileage. Sorry I still have the Civic hatch, so I guess I was spoiled. But all around the REX puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.

Quick Reply: what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??