Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:28 AM

What is the whole tranny paranoia thing? Sorry I'm new to the forum and I dont know anything about it, but I plan on purchasing an 04 WRX so hopefully it was fixed in these models??? And how much would be a good price to purchase an 04 now?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM STI
Originally Posted by Chronos
What is the whole tranny paranoia thing? Sorry I'm new to the forum and I dont know anything about it, but I plan on purchasing an 04 WRX so hopefully it was fixed in these models??? And how much would be a good price to purchase an 04 now?
From what I hear they are just weak. I paid $21,200 for mine w/ short throw, rubber floor mats and STi hood scoop painted.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
What is the whole tranny paranoia thing? ?

the majority of the problems are with those who drag their cars. if u use it as a simple daily driver and not drag it every weeken you are fine. there are some other issues in terms of "unsure shifting"(like getting into 1st while rolling and reverse issues) but after 37000 miles on my wrx i have no tranny problems- and i drive very hard sometimes.

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 05-20-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAAZ227
From what I hear they are just weak. I paid $21,200 for mine w/ short throw, rubber floor mats and STi hood scoop painted.
21,200 BRAND NEW 04??! Thats sounds really good! How'd you get it so low
Old 05-21-2004, 07:38 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM STI
21,200 BRAND NEW 04??! Thats sounds really good! How'd you get it so low
yup... '04 sedan. I had been working with them for 4months. The car had 12 miles on it and all the white plastic protector all over it. I think it had been sitting on there lot for a while. $21,220 to be exact out the door. www.fitzmall.com it was their internet price.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Brian Townsend, congrats on the purchase. That exhaust!!! You might have an aftermarket downpipe on it already. Hell you might even have a full TBE. You can look underneath it. If the pipe looks really big it could be 3" if not you might just ahve a DP. Any how good luck and let the modding begin. Its like a virus that you "like " to catch!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by BrianTownsend
Yeh!!!!!
I am the proud owner of a 2002 Black WRX wagon!!
I ended up getting the one I talked about that I loved. Its just sweet. The interior is on of the best features of the car...and of course that turbo! Love that menecing hiss when the pedal is squezzed...its purely addicting Just wish it were louder! Anyone know how I can make that happen? I want a blow off I can hear too, definitely.
Everything is just perfect.
It does have some sounds Im not sure are normal for a STOCK wrx. THe exaust has a very low deep drone at idile, sounds real good and powerfull, just not STOCK like the muffler looks, and I know it is. Also I pulled in my driveway tonight, and stepped out while it was running and noticed...it LOPES!! Im serious... like a cammed out v8 would--- just in half!! Just a slight "BLUGH BLUGH BLUGH BLUGH..." from the tail pipe. THats not normal and stock for this car--- is it?? Sounds good to me though!!
Im bringing it to a great SUBARU Mech. tommorow to get checked out so I can see whats up.
Love it though --in just my first day. Hope it will be a long lasting relationship.
Brian "BADWAGON"

A new intake will make the hiss of the turbo and the bov much louder and a bov that vents into the atmosphere will make the bov louder but either of those mods are a good idea. Dont make the mistake I made and start moding the car untill you read up on what works and what doesnt on the WRX. Before I found this site and learned about the car I bought an intake and loved the sound but after reading some of the threads here I took it off (wasted $). Here is a link that shows you how to take the intake silencer off http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113 it wont give you any performance gain and it doesnt make it that much louder than stock but it does make it a little louder. Congrats on your new WRX if your like me you will be a Subaru man for life.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
ECU reflashes are all sorts of easy. I have the COBB Stg1 ECU. They have the access port now, and it doesn't require any down time (where as if you purchase just the ecu reflash, you pull your stock ecu, overnight it to them, they flash it and overnight it back to you, where you reinstall it). Taking out the ECU is SUPER easy (even I can do it). The reflash should be the first engine mod you do. It's the safest way to get nice gains and MUCH better driveability on an otherwise stock engine. Once you get a reflash, it's cheap to get it reflashed again, and most places like COBB or Vishnu have specific maps for more mods such as exhaust/up-pipe, etc.

I love my ECU reflash. One mod you might consider is your steering rack bushings. That makes a huge difference, the car drives much better and steering is far more accurate.

Have fun, man!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
oh, and hey, where are you from?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
If your thinking about a reflash look into accessport http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport.html I should be getting mine next week. If your thinking about a short throw shifter look at kartboy lever and bushing http://www.kartboy.com/powertrain.html Im very happy with mine. These might not be the best options for you but they were the best for me. Look at some threads in the engine management and drive train sections and see what would be best for you. The WRX is a good handeling vehicle but with 17" rims on some sticky tires, different camber adjustments, rear sway bar, springs, adjustable struts, break upgrades and many other mods the car can really tear up some curves (check out the suspension section).

Last edited by MO REX; 05-22-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:56 PM

Car Info: '04 Platinum Wagon
1. The stock stereo, fixed for the most part (at least for now) with a 5 channel amp and sub
2. Rattles, fixed with about 3 hours of time and 2 rolls of weatherstipping
Old 08-26-2004, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Originally Posted by dub2w
the reason why the doors sound hollow is because there is no frame around the window on the door itself. it does sound kind of tinny, but its no biggie
Sorry about resurrecting this post but my 1997 VW Cabrio didn't have a frame around the window and it never sounded hollow like my WRX does. It always sounded very solid. The WRX on the otherhand with it's thin sheetmetal feels kind of tinny. But I think most Japanese cars are like that (that I've been in).

Other than that, I love the WRX. It's a blast to drive right out of the box. The suspension has a decently firm ride, but is much improved with the addition of larger sway bars and strut braces. And the US-market also gets saddled with the European/Japanese spec RS wheels (16") where they get 17" wheels elsewhere. I sourced a set for myself.

I also wish there was a leather option on the MY04 for the race seats that come with it...but there isn't. Aftermarket is my only option.

Quick Reply: what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??