Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
The seats give me a lower back ache after 20-30 mins of driving (but then again, I'm an old dude so YMMV).
Old 05-17-2004, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Maybe the owner modded the car a bit already? Perhaps uppipe or downpipe..........or both? Both of those would cause spool to occur sooner.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:14 PM

so far in the 3 weeks ive owned my WRX (an 02) Just about the only things (and they're VERY small things) that are a minor inconvenience is of course the stereo which has been mentioned. I may upgrade that eventually but right now im liking my in dash cd changer and dont wish to lose that just yet. Also im finding it hard to get used to the fact that you have to unlock the door yourself before you get out...cuz in my old car (and in many cars) the drivers side door unlocks itself when you pull the handle, not on a wrx and the other small item would be the lack of a cargo net in the trunk. the only thing i have in there riht now is my lug wrench, which i can hear smack the walls of my trunk whenever i accelerate/brake/turn. But that can easily be fixed for like 25 bucks. Other than that, i LOVE this car. It looks great, its fast, CAN be practical w/ gas mileage if you can keep the lead out of your foot The interiors of these cars, i think, are awesome, the seats are great, and it really is quite a unique car that you dont see very many of on the road. Im gettin a ton of looks in this car, from EVERYONE, young and old. So there you have it. the only "problems" i have w/ the car..but they're not even really problems, the stereo and cargo net are easily fixed..the door thing...im just gonna have to get used to...haha
Old 05-18-2004, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I love my WRX. I don't have any transmission issues. The car is great. It runs perfect. I just spent the weekend driving it around Lake Tahoe and it was a blast.

I like the way the seats look but I hate how EVERYTHING sticks to them from hair to crumbs to dust. You can't even get most small hairs off with a lint brush I also get the lower back pain if I drive the car for too long. I'm thinking of getting something I can put on the seat for some lower back support.

Other than that, the car is excellent. The only reason I'd get rid of it is to get an STi, and I'd only get rid of it because I can't afford both at the same time. I'll probably end up waiting till my WRX is paid off and then buy an STi.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
^^ agree about lower back issues, but that is prolly tru for 90% of cars on the market (and is only noticeable on long drives)
Old 05-19-2004, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Congrats brian
Old 05-19-2004, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM STI
Other than that, the car is excellent. The only reason I'd get rid of it is to get an STi, and I'd only get rid of it because I can't afford both at the same time. I'll probably end up waiting till my WRX is paid off and then buy an STi.

^^^ same for me too. Or, just get a nice turbo kit for a little less then the difference of a WRX / STi

Last edited by RAAZ227; 05-20-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:34 PM

it's broken in....they run better after 3000k.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
The only thing I don't like about my 04 is the nasty hesitation when gradually accelerating. I was hoping it would go away after the car was broken in real well but now at 10,000+ miles the problem still exists. Also I've got a case of the "memory steer" but I've got the whiteline bushings laying on my desk just haven't had time to install them yet. My AccessPort should resolve the hesitation problem whenever it's finally shipped to me.

I really think Subaru should do something to address these problems but I guess it just gives me the excuse to get some better parts for it.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bagelw
The only thing I don't like about my 04 is the nasty hesitation when gradually accelerating. I was hoping it would go away after the car was broken in real well but now at 10,000+ miles the problem still exists. Also I've got a case of the "memory steer" but I've got the whiteline bushings laying on my desk just haven't had time to install them yet. My AccessPort should resolve the hesitation problem whenever it's finally shipped to me.

I really think Subaru should do something to address these problems but I guess it just gives me the excuse to get some better parts for it.
I was going to recommend and ECU flash for the hesitation and bushings for the memory steer thing

I just did my steering rack bushings last weekend. It's like a totally different car. I can't remember the last time I spent $30 better.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:59 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
I was going to recommend and ECU flash for the hesitation and bushings for the memory steer thing

I just did my steering rack bushings last weekend. It's like a totally different car. I can't remember the last time I spent $30 better.
Cool. That's what I like to hear. I am going to try to get the bushings installed this weekend along with the STi rear swaybar for my wagon. I've heard installing the steering bushings is a pita. Just how much of a pain am I looking at?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:20 AM
VIP Member

I actually only assisted while my friend installed them for me (I'm not too mechanically inclined, so it would've taken me forever and I needed to get home). It took him about 25 minutes, but he has done it a few times before. The hardest part seems to be getting the stock ones off, but once that's done you're basically done. I think to make it quicker he drops the whole front subframe to get access to the bushings. I remember him doing that.

Also, the grease that comes with the bushings is some kind of mega grease, I recommend wearing gloves Good luck.

Quick Reply: what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??