Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Voiding car purchase contract?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 01:14 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
Car Buying
Isn't there a three-day "cooling off" period on car purchases?

No. Many people are under the impression that you can return a car within three days if you don't like it. This is not true! Once you sign an automobile sales contract, you are legally bound by all its terms and conditions. The contract can only be canceled if the dealership permits it or if there is legal ground for it, such as fraud. In fact, in California, state law requires the following statement to be printed on each retail sales contract or lease, and to be posted in each sales cubicle:

NO COOLING OFF PERIOD. California law does not provide for a "cooling off" or other cancellation period for vehicle lease or purchase contracts. Therefore, you cannot later cancel such a contract simply because you change your mind, decide the vehicle costs too much, or wish you had acquired a different vehicle. After you sign a motor vehicle purchase or lease contract, it may only be canceled with the agreement of the seller or lessor or for legal cause, such as fraud.
Make sure that the contract you are signing is exactly what you are expecting and that the car you are purchasing is exactly what you want at the price you believe is fair. Do your homework before you go into the dealership, because you won't be able to change your mind later when you find out they charged you twice what the car is worth! For more information, be sure to see our Car Buying Guide.

Thats what i found for ya...

Egg
Old 10-16-2004, 01:35 AM

its hard to do now since you already signed the contract. they can say all they want to get you to sign the papers but its your job to look over the contract and make sure everything was correct like you had agreed upon. i think its going to be tough to return the car

try asking some legal advice and maybe they can help
good luck
Old 10-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
How was your relationship with the dealership?

If you go in there as a concerned customer they should help you. They still have to wait for your survey to be returned after you get it.

If you promise to fill out the survey perfect they might help you out.

(Depending on how big of a descrepancy there was)
Old 10-18-2004, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by HighAnxiety
I have discovered that the contract I signed buying the car is wrong. What the dealer quoted me for options on the car was not what was on the contract when I added stuff up.

Question is, can I return the car today and void the contract?
You didn't fill out the location field in your member profile but here is a link to some useful consumer information for car buyers in the state of CA.

General info from California's Department of Consumer Affairs.

The bottom line is pretty much what has already been described by your fellow members. It's difficult to void a contract once it has been signed.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush