Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Urgent!! Urgent!! Please Asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:19 AM

Car Info: '03 wagon
Urgent!! Urgent!! Please Asap

alright so i love the sooby so far, don't get me wrong.

I was, however, a little hasty to get one and because of this, I think I was had at the dealership and looking for someone with more expertise on these than a complete noob to not only wrx, but AWD cars, i mean...its bad.

nevertheless - after drivin around my 03 wagon with 51k miles, the CEL got thrown. Now this was the weekend I bought it. I was driving it easy and stopped to fill the tank. I know i turned till there were like 7 clicks because read the warning on the cap of not tightening enough. Even after 4 trips after that it never turned off. (heard it took only 2) Took it in this monday to get looked at, and after 2 hours and me coming out to talk to THEM to see what was up, they tell me that there's aftermarket stuff in the car.

Now I bought it without any of this in mind, thinking it was required by law for them to post any modifications to the car, which of were none!! That in mind, he proceeds to inform me that the light was thrown, and the clutch shudder i was feeling while downshifting and driving in reverse and the CEL were all related - no cat because of the custom exhaust! he then said I could "put some black tape over the light if it gets annoying" rediculous huh?

So this whole time while getting more angry, I keep thinkin I got scammed because I didn't know any of this, and emmissions are completely required in WA. Now my battle with even getting them on the phone to talk to me now is a different issue - what I really want advice on, besides all the stuff up above, is they're telling me that there are still 2 catalytic converters in there, which I doubt?!

I've just never heard such a thing - car havin 2 cats? hmmm please help!! I thikn there's also a BOV on there and possibly a turboback? Not sure, because like I said i'm a huge noob and my friend - owner of an 04 wrx sedan opened his hood and **** just looks different. Now I'm hoping some guru out there can save the effing day, because I would love to either stick it to these guys, or at least get my ride fixed up so I can start enjoying it. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
Smile

Ok, before you go and kill your self you should read up on what your buying before you buy, but no time for that. Maybe later.
To answer you Cat problem; wrx's come stock with 3!!! Yes, so if you have an aftermarket exhaust there is a good chance it's decated. Cool word.
I live in Bothell WA. but don't know the requirements for emissions so when i go to get tested i would put back on my stockers, if i had them. In your case it would be much cheaper to look at personal for sale for a used stock exhaust than the fines or what ever crap they tell you.
And for the check engine light, if you have a owners manual it tells you about some simple thing you can do to check to see if your in ok shape or in danger. Things like low oil, maybe gas related like not 92 premium, or maybe just air in the tank. That has happened to me some times no biggy. Good to know some fellow subie owners in the WA, might see you around some time.

Hope this helps-
Old 03-31-2006, 11:07 AM

Well, I'm not freakin out or anything, and to be honest since I'm not a DIY car guy I didn't read how many cats were on a car before buyin. I knew I wanted a wrx cuz they're all pull baby! Besides, I was lookin at a4's and they had BAD track records for a year I could afford, and this is way better bang-for-buck by a long shot! that aside, a lot of trust was instilled in Eastside Subaru (kirkland) because of the Certified Preowned sticker I saw, like they would post what friggin aftermarket stuff was in there. I love the extra hp, don't get me wrong, I prolly would have not bought it though if it meant that I would have to do massive (to me) work on it every time I want to renew my registration. So for me, it's more of a legal thing. Since I just bought it, it shouldn't be any of the other problems you stated, simply because it was SUPPOSEDLY the recipient of a 127 point inspection or some nonsense. Don't know why they didn't know it had aftermarket stuff if it underwent such a huge inspection!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:09 AM

Could you also explain to the rook why/how there are 3 cat's? I've heard of a 3 stage cat, but not 3 individual cat's. thanks man..oh and like if you want to explain all the other components and what to service when, that'd be sick too! lol
Old 03-31-2006, 11:26 AM

Car Info: WRX
there are 2 cats. I donno why but there is. One in front of the turbo (up-pipe), one on the down pipe after the turbo.
i think this is accurate. I decatted mine so long ago i'm not sure how many there where. Unless there was one on the exhaust too...been too long.
No emmission here in MN.
Thanks Jesse!

perrin up and down pipe,
blitz exhaust and luvin it!

Last edited by yanwasp; 03-31-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
There are 3 cats, one in the uppipe before the turbo, and 2 in the downpipe after the turbo.

Get the check engine light scanned and post the CEL code. There are ways to disable certain codes with "CEL fixes"...much better than putting electrical tape on the cluster. We just need to know which cat(s) are gone.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 PM

Ya when I originally took it in the dude told me that i would keep getting p0420 as the code, so i would know if anything else was wrong by getting a different code. he said he did a fix or something and the light should have been off, but right when i started to leave the service place the light was on again. Does 420 tell you which cat was gone? I am also getting varied responses on the quanitity of cat's - 2 or 3? who knows? can you try to prove that you're right or something? I think these guys are effing me here and I need to be right when I bring the smack down
Old 03-31-2006, 12:35 PM

NE one know if it's illegal to sell a car without posting these aftermarket mods? I had no clue any of this was done, and like I said being a noob, didn't konw what to look for under the hood when I bought it - just knew it all looked awesome! I'm really steamed
Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 PM

I dont know what you can do about the dealership, but the cel shouldnt be a problem.

There are three ways to get rid of it

1-Buy new oem exhaust (dont bother)
2-Electrical CEL fix
3-Mechanical CEL fix

I recommend #3. Buy some HELP! brand Spark Plug Non- Foulers 18mm, Part number 42009, you can get them at AutoZone for around $5.00 - two came in the package. Use a drill press and a 1/2" drill bit. Drill hole in one of them, then screw them together, then screw the o2 sensor into it, and into the bung. Its basiclly an extension that puts the sensor further away from the gases....hence normal reading and no CEL. Do some searches for more info, its well documented. Good luck
Old 03-31-2006, 01:25 PM

Unfortunately my lack of repair savvy is great. for instance, wtf is a bung? Hence, you can probably gather that I wanted to get a car that was really reliable and would require little maintenance. I thought I had found a dealership that was knowledgeful of soobies and were honest so I didn't have to learn auto repair myself, which would obviously mean ruining my car. Too bad I wouldn't have bought the car had I known about all the work that would need to be continuously applied to it
Old 03-31-2006, 01:34 PM

The bung is where you screw in the o2 sensor....its a really easy thing to do, but if you have no tools or repair savvy, its understandable you dont want to mess with it.

Sorry about your dealership, but look at it this way. Your car is faster than a stock one. WIth the cats gone, the boxer rumble is louder, and you are flowing more air = more performance. Still reliable too! The cel just lets you know that the cat is missing. Im running with only 1 high flow cat, no cels...I have the uppipe cel fix and rear o2 fix. Running stong for 15K+ miles.

Try to find a knowledgeable mechanic or friend to help you...Im not sure what else you can do about the dealership...maybe a lawyer can help.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
Let's see if this works. My first time posting a link so bare with me.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?=533787
This might be of some help
Tell me if it works or not.
Attached Thumbnails Urgent!! Urgent!! Please Asap-jmk.gif  

Last edited by I am imprezed; 04-01-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:41 PM

In NV, an auto dealer selling a car MUST get it emission tested as part of the title transfer process. I took a quick look at WA DMV web site and it looks like the same is true there. IF that's the case, then there should be an emissions inspection certificate in the paperwork you got when you bought the car. If there is one, the absence of the cat apparently does not by itself cause a failed emissions test. The CEL, however, as far as I know, will result in failure.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Car Info: Mostly stock 2002 WRX wagon
Read this NOW.

Did a little research after starting my response, the rest of the advice should be considered only after you go here

http://www.atg.wa.gov/consumer/lemon...es/index.shtml

Your state has a lemon law, and all it will problably take for you to get satisfaction is to call them.

Talk to a lawyer. A good one who specializes in consumer protection. $200 now for him will be cheap by comparison, and he should easily be able to get you the money you spent on him back.

That being said, here are some things to do:
1. Call you District Attorney, he will problably take care of it for you on the tax payers dollar if what your saying is true.

2. Call the state police (thats who deals with inspection/emission in VA)

3. As stated above, I have never heard of a state that requires emission/inspection but did not require that the car pass it to be sold.

4.Did I mention, GET A LAWYER. Everyone bemones the fact that they could sue, but no one does. Thats why people like this are still in buisness.

5. Contact the better buisness beaurau (SP?).
Old 04-08-2006, 04:42 PM

Well about the lemon law- it protects new cars only! So, unfortunately no help with the 03 wrx. Before your previous post (thanks by the way!!) I went to Smart Service in Seattle, who specialize in Cobb parts and I guess the best place to take for maintenance repair work in the area directed me towards the Department of Ecology for the state gov, who in WA are responsible for all emmissions laws as well as auto law regarding the purchase of a car and its emmissions status. Apparently, since I signed the "As-is - no warranty" paper it absolved them from everything. They don't have to tell the consumer in WA that there is any aftermarket equipment by law. I remember distinctly asking the dude originally, if this is certified, then why am i signing a paper that says there's no warranty? Regardless, that made me feel more and more foolish. Luckily, they're not all evil. If they were definitely trying to scam me, it didn't quite work because all my b|tching got me hooked up with a brand spankin new '06 wrx for a helluva deal and some great options like short throw, free maintenance repair for 2 years, $0 deductible 6yr/100k mi. warranty through subaru, and like lifetime protection on all interior and exterior!! Not bad, I say! Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate all the quick responses and feedback.