Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

trade in high value used RX8 for new Subie without cash? (Need Advice with RX8)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 2004 RX8
Need Advice with RX8

ok, i currently have drive a RX8. I went to the mazda dealership and asked for the trade-in value for my car. it came to 22,000$. Now i was wondering if i'm able to trade in my car for a new 2004/5 Impreza 2.5I Sedan.(msrp 18,295) I dont want to pay any money. Now my question is will i have to pay anything for this trade in and how much paperwork must be done?

Please any advice would appriciate, if i can i plan on trading it in asap.

p.s. the reason i'm trading in my rx8 is because i need an AWD car and since i go to college in williamsport PA, i wont be able to make it back to new jersery in the snow
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Like Whoa
ok, i currently have drive a RX8. I went to the mazda dealership and asked for the trade-in value for my car. it came to 22,000$. Now i was wondering if i'm able to trade in my car for a new 2004/5 Impreza 2.5I Sedan.(msrp 18,295) I dont want to pay any money. Now my question is will i have to pay anything for this trade in and how much paperwork must be done?

Please any advice would appriciate, if i can i plan on trading it in asap.

p.s. the reason i'm trading in my rx8 is because i need an AWD car and since i go to college in williamsport PA, i wont be able to make it back to new jersery in the snow

as long as you own the car outright you shouldn't have to pay anything for a trade in. but if you trade the car in to the mazda dealership will they give you the cash or make you pick a car from their lot? have you went to the subaru dealership and asked them what they would give you for your car? that would be easier then messing with the mazda place. as for the paperwork, as long as you're the title holder of the car i wouldn't think that the paperwork would be that difficult.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
^^^Correct if you own it outright you should be able to just straight trade for an 04 or 05.

The trade-in value can be determined here www.kbb.com

I think you could probably straight trade for an 04 WRX at the very least.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:12 AM

straight trade WRX vs RX8

I would not assume that an even up trade of a used (even slightly) RX8 to a new (even an 05) WRX would be possible (a 2.5 Impreza would be do-able though). If you can get someone to do it with a WRX, more power to you, it shouldn't cost you anything, not even sales tax. Just a few dollars in fees.

I certainly would not accept an RX8 in trade for a new WRX. Especially on the east coast, there's a lot of people (including yourself it seems) that are afraid of driving RWD in the winter, and for a dealer to pay top dollar for a RWD sports coupe in mid-october is not a very profit conscious proposition when there's a pretty good chance that the car will either 1) sit until April or 2) end up getting wholesaled.

I guess what I'm saying is that, in answer to your question, if you can find a dealer who will do it, GREAT, it won't cost you anything. If you must first sell your car to one dealer, then buy from another, it will cost you the sales tax on the new purchase. But more importantly, if you find a dealer willing to offer this, jump on it.