Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Timing belt and other belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Timing belt and other belts

I'm a little over due for some maintenance on my 2002 WRX sedan.

In the manual it states "Drive belts". Does this include the timing belt? There is no mention of the timing belt in the maintenance schedule booklet.

If not, should I change the timing belt along with the other "drive belts"? My car is at 113K miles.

While I'm at it is it a good idea to change the tensioner and water pump?

Also, how much brake fluid and coolant does the car hold?

Thanks a bunch,
Chris
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The schedule does indeed include the timing belt, however it is called the "camshaft drive belt". The belt is supposed to be replaced at 105K so you are overdue for this service.
Yes it is a good idea to replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time, to avoid problems with them later and because there is access to them while doing the belt.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Awesome...Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mulder
The schedule does indeed include the timing belt, however it is called the "camshaft drive belt". The belt is supposed to be replaced at 105K so you are overdue for this service.
Yes it is a good idea to replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time, to avoid problems with them later and because there is access to them while doing the belt.
Awesome thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
agreed except for the tensioner... if it spins free when you take every thing appart dont bother. I dont know on yours but mine was hydrolic and very expencive.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
RE: Tensioner- that little hydraulic gizmo failed on my '02, causing the camshaft belt to come off the pulleys and 16 valves,etc., to be destroyed. It seems penny wise and pound foolish not to replace when everythings is opened. ps: my car is still under warranty, but it did take 21 days to get it back.