Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Suby Sti or Pickup Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2007 O.B.P WRX
Suby Sti or Pickup Truck?

Whats up guys. I'm pretty new here, I'm 16 and ill be 17 on May 5th. Here in NJ thats when we go from our learners permit to our license. Considering I nailed a pretty awesome report card for the first time in years, I may be able to get my car a little bit early. For years I've been in love with the STI, I drool every time I see it and have been to countless dealers just so I can sit in it. However, I race motocross and I practice once or twice a week during the season. Currently I just use my moms jeep with a trailer. I know that a pickup would be a more sensible idea , but My friend has an Evo9 SE, so every time I get in his car my idea of a pickup truck flies out the window. In addition, I don't know if I want a massive pickup for my first car(Dodge Ram 1500) .Both would be around the same price, so thats not the issue. I am fortunate enough to have my parents assist me with payments. I know that that you can put a hitch on the STI, and I would only be hauling a small trailer with one bike and gear, so would that be a sensible solution? Any input would really be appreciated.

Pros and Cons

Pickup Pros
-Automatic Tranny (easier for mom to drive)
-Ability to toss my bikes and gear in the bed

Pickup Cons
-Gas Mileage sucks with the Hemi
-Huge Truck might not be so good for my first car
-Hard to Park in my School with tight spots, near impossible.

Sti Pros
-Car of my Dreams
-A Blast to Drive with killer power and great handling
-Decent Gas Mileage
-The Badass Factor
-All-Wheel Drive
-Good Crash Test Ratings

Sti Cons
-Manual Tranny (Hard at first for mom to drive, but I can teach her)
-Need to use trailer to haul bikes ( possibly wear out springs quicker?)
Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
I think First car + STI = bad idea...Get a wrx wagon, you can drag your dirtbike around and throw all your gear in the back. when you have some experience driving you can upgrade to an STI. I used to motocross a little myself and i'd come back all mudded up and the last thing you wanna do is dirty up that blue STI interior. WRX is plenty fast (too fast for first car in my opinion) handles great, and the wagon is exteremely practical. Obviously do whatever makes you happy, just consider every option first. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I figured the STI was wicked, but i drive my dads Jag all the time 250hp and Its slow to me. I've also driven my friends Evo which was insane but manageable when driven smart. The WRX wagon would be good, but I might as well just get the pickup then. Its really between those two right now.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Red face

Get the pick up. It is just like a WRX wagon... I see your point!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
the truck is easy to park, even in small spaces...you get used to it..just back in

Get the Ram as your first car...that way you don't drive fast and if you do wreck, you won't do much damage

Name:  DSC03232.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  79.3 KB

+1 for the Ram
Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
One factor to look at is the difference in insurance costs between the two.
Since your mom is helping with the payments, is she going to be on the insurance? This should help big time on the STi's insurance (if you get it)

If you do go with the STi, be sure oyu take the time to get to know the car, don't let your buddies egg you on to push yourself before you have respect and understanding for the STi's characteristics.

Either vehicle would be an awesome first car, but look at which one will suit your daily needs better.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM

I really appreciate all the input guys. For everyday, the pickup is a bit much. I'm a pretty darn good racer and I am going to be doing a lot of training and racing to prepare for amateur nationals. However, I'm not going pro as much as I would like, (diddnt start when I was 4 lol). In a year and a half I'll be in college for photography and then riding will be a once in a while thing. During the meantime I can always use my moms jeep if the sti won't cut it. Freshman year in College I most likely wont be able to have my car with me (debatable), so a small car as opposed to a huge pickup sitting in the driveway is a factor as well. I don't know, maybe ill just win the lotto and get both.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by iRace559
I don't know, maybe ill just win the lotto and get both.
That would probably be the best choice
Old 11-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Yeah, so to my surprise I just came home with a brand new 07 Suby WRX. The STI was nice , but for my first car its a bit much, plus the insurance was ridiculous. Ill take some pictures tomorrow. I', so happy right now you guys have no idea.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:04 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Congrats!

Please do post up some pics in the members' rides gallery!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Nothing wrong with the WRX, especially since the 06-07's have the bigger brakes than the older years and the 2.5 doesn't hurt either. Enjoy the car and congrats!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Oh absolutely. I'm a very fortunate kid and this is such a dream come true The WRX is a great car, I only had a little time behind the wheel of it getting used to stick but its quite a car. The handling is amazing and the power is enough for my needs, but I'm sure ill start to mod it anyway when I have the money. Yeah, tomorrow for sure Ill get some pictures up.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

New owner lesson #1.

If your parking lights won't shut off....look at the top of the steering column and flick the switch that is there....

It's a simple thing, but almost everyone runs into this problem when they first get the car
Old 11-29-2006, 06:34 PM

I threw some pictures up in the members ride section under black suby's. Heres the link anyway.
http://irace559.smugmug.com/gallery/2188085/1/113764089
Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
congrats and ur lucky! just drive it like YOU put all YOUR hard earned money in to afford and you should be ok....hopefully

Last edited by I3eXa; 11-29-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Suby Sti or Pickup Truck?