Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

subie buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 04 Wagon 5mt
subie buying experience

HI all:
I'm new to this forum but not new to cars....

I am so thrilled with my new 04 WR Blue Wagon that I just felt I needed to post this message in response to other's pruchase agonies.

I did lots of research and drove everything from Jetta to SpecV to MazdaSpeed to RX8 to....you get the idea.

I had been watching the WRX since way back but you know how it is, sometimes you can be tempted to test your mettle with other cars.

Anyways, I made an email blitz to various northern california dealers and all wanted about $300 over invoice. However, since I had been shopping for a while, I knew this was not good enough.

I called Stevens Creek in San Jose and talked to their guy there and told him I wanted a no BS price.

He gave me a great price of $500 OFF INVOICE for the wagon. Add in the 750 rebate and the 3.9 and there is no way I was going to drop another 5K on the RX8 (neat as it may be!).

No haggling required, no BS. And believe me, I was ready and had been through it all.

I drove (a) car for 20 minuts in and out of traffic. I came back the next day (again, no pressure) and signed the papers. 1 hour later I am grinning ear to ear as I'm driving my Wagon home to take the kids for a ride.

And my insurance? would you believe <$800/year? (no I'm not THAT old, just 33).

I just wanted to share that buying a cr doesn't have to be bummer and DO NOT buy from an a*****e dealer. Life's too short.

caballo77
San Jose, CA
Old 11-26-2003, 10:09 PM

Car Info: not a subie
Hehe, I can't really speak from experience of buying a car, but I like to haggle on certain products in certain stores.

It's really an artform, and most of the time I do it because I consider it part of the business transaction to get what you want for a fair price. Especially when buying bulk.

I was with my brother when he was trying to cut the deal for his 03 lancer oz, and the sales guy was your stereotypical sales rep... greasy.

The pricing went down pretty smoothly, but what the dealership tried to screw him on was being lazy because our family really don't use credit... we don't believe that we should spend money that we don't have (technically). So we all carry low limits on our credit cards, and we never use them so we don't build credit rating.

Fact is, he had enough money in his accounts to pay for the car upfront 100$ cash, but because it was 0% apr, he decided to put something like 8k on it instead or something. But because of his lack of credit rating, the dealership's bank wanted our dad to cosign for the credit instead of going to my brother's bank and doing the legwork to get HIS credit rating approved.

There's a bank our family used in a small town for 22 years, and our business was one of the most profitable and stable in that town, so this bank would probably bend over backwards for us. Example being that when I asked for a student visa card, the rep's first question was "what limit would you like?" I think I could've gotten a 5k limit on my visa card and wouldn't even had to have my dad co sign the card. That was kinda scary... she looked at me funny when I said, "lowest one you can give me" :P

But yeah, when it comes my turn, I really hope the subbie dealership here in town doesn't jerk me around. But I digress

I think a lot of the stupidness comes from the dealers knowing that they're not really going to make money on the sale, but would probably make money on the maintenence, so the sales reps don't really give a rat's ***, they make their % commission regardless if that 1000$ +/- invoice is there or not. Most of those guys are there cause they want a job, it didn't seem to me like this mitsu guy was passionate about what he sold, he said he worked at various other dealers of other companies.

I think if you find someone who's passionate about the company and the product, you won't have any problems at all.

Just ask the sales rep some rally related questions (assuming you're buying subbie) and give them a test :P

holy longass post.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 PM

thanks. I still look forward to getting in my wrx for any occasion and revving the little engine up...
I will have a place for the rx8 in my heart and, like you, will wait till the bugs and the pricing come around and the horsepower comes up a bit.

take care.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
caballo:

congrats. I, too, had a great experience buying the car. The service is where my dealer lacks

Two things:

1. You in BAIC yet? If not, check it out. A lot of regular events in your area.

2. How do you like your side skirts in their unpainted form? I ask because there is currently an awesome deal going to get them painted by a great shop.

I received quotes from two shops out here (sac) - both wanted > $400 for the job. Since my car is sonic yellow, you can't buy them pre-painted, and even if you could, the lowest I found em is $265 + shipping. This shop in San Jose (in the area of 13th and E. Enterprise) is doing them for $80!!!!!

They're so friendly too. Look for the thread in BAIC. Good luck with your car
Old 12-08-2003, 08:49 PM

Sonic
Thanks! No, not in baic yet...how to join??

I would like my sideskirts painted...are they doing 'em in wr blue pearl too? Does the paint adhere to the plastic stuff well?

I'll check out the bay area threads for more details I guess.

C77