Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

STI Belts (less expensive place to purchase than dealer?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
STI Belts

Hi,

I need to buy all of my car's belts (Timing, Alternator, Power Steering, A/C) but the dealership price is way too high. Do you guys know where can I get them? Or, do you know the sizes, specs so I can buy a universal, that's a perfect fit?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Try PepBoys, Auto Zone, Kragen, etc.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Yeh, that's what I ended up doing. Thanks anyways bro.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 PM

Car Info: I ride
Originally Posted by gilbeloSiTI
Hi,

I need to buy all of my car's belts (Timing, Alternator, Power Steering, A/C) but the dealership price is way too high. Do you guys know where can I get them? Or, do you know the sizes, specs so I can buy a universal, that's a perfect fit?
Why? What happened?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
You might also try online Subaru dealerships like www.subaruparts.com. They can sell most parts at a discount because of the volume of sales. They have parts representatives that will try to answer questions via email, if you have problems finding a factory part using their online catalog.

I had to replace the air-conditioning belt on my '02 WRX. A shop performed the 60k-mile service and replaced all of the belts and fluids. Eventually, the a/c belt began to squeal so I increased the belt tension but broke the adjuster. I ordered a new one from SubaruParts.com and since this particular part was so cheap, I ordered two of 'em, along with intake air and cabin panel filters.

I put the tension adjust back on the car and began to take out the belt slack. And then I broke the new adjuster. Good thing I had a spare! It wasn't until I broke the second one that I figured out why I was running out of adjustment - what I'd forgotten was that I had an alloy crank pulley that was slightly underdriven and it came with the correct length a/c fan belt. When the shop replaced all of the belts, they didn't know about the pulley and used a factory belt, which was now too long.

I went to a local NAPA store and the head parts guy was patient enough to look up various length belts and let me buy whichever ones I wanted to try and return the rest for a refund. Through some trial and error, I found a NAPA part that worked perfectly. Needless to say, if you ever use a non-standard diameter pulley, save the packaging and part number for the fan belt!

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade
or you could buy them from me