Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

"smoke" from vents when AC is on (04 wrx)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:06 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
LOL! Thats not smoke, that's condensation.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:26 AM
DrD

Car Info: 2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
definitely condensation from the evaporator - pretty much every car I have ever driven in a humid climate does that.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:46 AM
DrD

Ok - so a little better explanation - have you ever pulled a cold can of soda, etc. out of the fridge and watched how water condenses on it (because it's below the dew point of the air) - it's the same thing - as the evaporator cools, water condenses on it - as the air blows across the evaporator, some of that water is picked up and forms a light mist which looks like smoke. There is nothing short of not using the ac or moving somewhere less humid which is going to stop it. There is nothing Subaru will, or even can, do to solve the "problem" which isn't really a problem.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:49 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
There's nothing that can be done about it, like DrD says...and if you all had read (or even referenced for this problem) your owner's manuals, you'd see that Subaru tells you this will happen. Nothing to worry about, no health effects, no problem.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:20 PM
DrD

Originally Posted by sparkygrl
So to apply logic again, what has changed that is now causing the phenomenon? Rationally, there has to be a cause and effect correct?

P.S. I live in Massachusetts so I would say that it's pretty humid here from about May to September.
As the compressor cycles, the temperature drops, and condensation will form on the evaporator which can form a mist in the air. Do an experiment - go into any car, turn on the ac until it's nice and cool, turn it off for a minute or two, then turn it on again - instant fog from the vents.

Debating the phenomena behind this is almost comical - let me put it this way, unless you can get the Subaru tech to violate some fundamental physical laws, you are stuck with the fog.

If you want to minimize it, run the AC on recirc - it will dry out the air in the cabin, lowering the dew point to where you get minimal condensation. Or move to the southwest - I basically never get fog from the AC (compared to almost always in when I lived in MA, NY, VA, and TX), but then we average 11 inches of rain a year...
Old 09-19-2004, 07:38 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
If they wanted to minimize it further they could always have a crappier a/c unit so the temperature drop isn't substantial enough to warrent the fog. I can't really imagine no one wanting one though.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3567
Old 09-23-2004, 03:58 PM
DrD

Question

Originally Posted by sparkygrl
Thanks Peaty Score one for the Dumb Girl!!!!!
Maybe you read the description differently than I did - did you not get that what you are observing is normal, and that there is nothing wrong with the system? Maybe I misread where you said this was a problem... Did I miss something? Is it in reality not an issue of water condensing on the cold evaporator then forming a mist? Do you really not know what the sounds in the AC are? I am going to go out on a limb and say the sound you heard was either a hissing sound (which happens when the comrpessor fires back up and liquified coolant is again introduced into the evaporator) or a chirp (belt squeak which sometimes happens when the compressor kicks in if the belt is a little loose) followed by the mist? Could that mist possibly be the result of the compressor kicking on, liquified coolant going into the evaporator, evaporating and causing an abrupt shift (drop) in the surface temperature of the evaporator, causing the humid air in the airbox to condense out and then be blown through the vents as a mist?

Quick Reply: "smoke" from vents when AC is on (04 wrx)