Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

rock chips in paint/cleaning wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:05 PM

Car Info: sti
Smile rock chips in paint/cleaning wheels

wassup
just writing to see if anyone has a solution to chips in the paint all over the front of my sti cuz of rocks and whatnot. it's getting bad. also - any tricks for keeping the bbs wheels clean? or what to clean them with to avoid scratching? also do they make car covers for sti's, my dealer said they don't - id appreciate help with any of this!! thanks!

~penguin
Old 08-17-2005, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 2015 STI
Originally Posted by penguin
also do they make car covers for sti's, my dealer said they don't
Riight!!

Go to Costco and you'll find car covers, or look around online and you'll run into a store that sells one. In regards to chipped paints, not much you can do, unless you buy the bra to cover the front. That's the only way I think of preventing it from happening. As of cleaning the wheels, I use micro fiber towels to clean it. In terms of dust getting to the wheels, not much you can do either, unless you buy a different kind of brake pads that does not do brake dust a lot.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
For your wheels you can use Meguiar's Wheel Cleaner, just follow the directions and you are good to go. As far as keeping them clean, I would say wash your car once a week... it would be nice if brake dust didn't stick.

For the rock chips you need to get a bottle of factory touch-up paint and Lanka Paint Chip repair Kit http://www.langka.com/index.cfm?page...fm&product=206

The repair kit will smooth down the touch-up spot so well you won't even notice. Also the repair kit does no harm to your clear coat at all. I should post pics next time I use it. I have an Obsidian Black '05 STi and everything shows up.

Cheap car covers i.e. Costco, Pepboys, Wal Mart... WILL scratch your paint over time. The best covers come from coverking. www.luxurycovers.com has them for the best price. These covers fit the STi wing, it is an option when ordering.

Last edited by njected; 08-22-2005 at 03:26 PM.