Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Question for RS owners who had their head gasket replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:28 AM

Question for RS owners who had their head gasket replaced...

If you took it to a dealership, how long did it take for them to complete the repairs? So far, my experience has been a nightmare, and it's far from over.

My '00 RS started showing signs of the dreaded head gasket failure last week. I called the nearest dealership and told them what was going on. They said it was covered under warranty because I had the recall (coolant conditioner) performed last year. So I made arrangements to bring the car in. The lady I talked to said it'd be an all day project, so the earlier I get it in, the better.

Yesterday was pure and utter CRAP. I had to spend $170 out of my own pocket to tow the car to this dealership (40 miles away) and get it there at 7 am. THEN they tell me I need to have proof of maintenance, to show that I've been taking care of the car. But I have to go to work. So I go home during my lunch and fax the receipts..... then take the rest of the day off so I can go home and fax again because they never got them the first time....

The guy finally calls me and says he got them, and everything looks fine. But now he has to was for approval from SOA before he can start the work.

Which won't happen til Tuesday of next week. At the EARLIEST.

It wasn't until after I got off the phone that I remembered that I'm gonna be out of town next week (going to LA for E3, and leaving Tuesday morning). I call the guy and tell him what's going on, and that I won't be able to pick the car up til next Saturday (the 21st). So they can take their time with the work.

Then he tells me that it's likely that it won't even be ready by next week. He tells me it's a really involved process that's gonna take 25 hours of labor.

So, if anyone else has had this done, how long did it take? Is this guy a complete idiot, or am I just overreacting?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:38 PM

25 hours WOW what a total crock of ****
I CAN DO IT MYSELF BEING AN IDIOT in about 10
i think pros have it down to around 6 or maybe less
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 PM

That's pretty much what I figured. I know that the head gasket replacement on the '98s and '99s was much more involved, and required the removal of the whole block.... but I was under the impression that it was much easier to replace the '00 and '01 gasket, and it didn't require the block to be removed.

My money says they're looking at the procedure for the 98/99s. *sigh*
Old 05-14-2005, 07:43 PM

the replacement should be the same...you shouldnt have to pull the manifold...just pop off the heads lift em out and slide in a new gasket and retorque
granted its
wiring
intake manifold
intake
maybe PS pump and ac but u just have to move em over a little
and exhaust manifold
but thats easy stuffs