Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

problems with used '02 WRX purchase (was: Turbo Problem? help pls)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 PM

Car Info: '02 wrx
Turbo Problem? help pls

I just got an 02 wrx, and when I start the push it and the turbo starts to spool up, it makes a pretty loud whining noise and if i keep pushing it the car starts shaking. Do I need a new turbo? Also, when the car is idling it starts idling low and sounds like its about to die out, but never does.

I got this car for cheap so I'm going to keep it and fix the problem as long as it all costs me under or a little over $2k.

If I need a turbo, I'm going to go with a better one. Should I go with the vf34? If I get the vf34 what else would I need with it? 550cc injectors and walbro fuel pump? anythin else?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP... I'm taking her to a suby mechanic tomarow, but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it too.

Last edited by sLeak; 06-01-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
If the car is shaking I would look at more than just the turbo, sounds like it could be major. Did you test drive it before you bought it?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 PM

No my dad bought it from an auction hes a independent dealer. If it is major and I decide not to fix it I can give it back to the auction.

It just starts to vibrate if I keep on it after it starts making the whining noise.

the car runs fine up untill the turbo starts spooling up

Last edited by sLeak; 06-01-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by sLeak
No my dad bought it from an auction hes a independent dealer. If it is major and I decide not to fix it I can give it back to the auction.

It just starts to vibrate if I keep on it after it starts making the whining noise.

the car runs fine up untill the turbo starts spooling up
hm, hard to diagnose over the net . . . try your engine and tranny mounts first.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 PM

Ok.

I'm taking it to a suby guy to see what he says in person.

But, should I fix and keep this car, or does it sound like im getting my self into a big pile of ****? Everything looks fine exept for the problems listed, the car is very clean nothing wrong with the body or interior. I just don't want to fix this and then drive the car and have somthing new break every month. What else should I check on the car to prevent problems in the future?

I have the choice to give this car back, so should I? It has 65k miles ... i got it for $8700
Old 06-02-2006, 05:18 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by sLeak
I just don't want to fix this and then drive the car and have somthing new break every month. What else should I check on the car to prevent problems in the future?
The short answer is that it is impossible for us to give you an all-inclusive list of things to check on a car whose history is unknown by us. The fact that the car has a vibration at speed is a bad sign since most previous owners try to remedy the broken stuff before making a trade-in, if the fix is easy or cheap.

Have the technician check out the car thoroughly. Is this a real Subaru technician at a dealership, or is he employed at an independent garage? The car needs to be thoroughly inspected on a lift for signs of previous mods. A good technician will know to look for things like missing exhaust system heat shield fasteners or wiring that is out of place. What he can't tell you are things like the expected life of a transmission or differential - it may have been abused by more power than the stock engine, which will shorten the life of these components considerably.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM

I've decided not to keep the car
Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 PM

did you get a diagnosis/estimate?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 PM

My dad took it to one of his friends and good news for me, the turbo is fine. Some valve was blocked up so the turbo couldnt get its exhaust fumes out, not sure what the valve is called, and the exhaust had a very slight rattle wich is also fixed now. We are replacing the part for the turbo and then we are going to take a closer look to make sure nothing else is messed up and then it is allll mine .

Oh and one quesion, how do aftermarket cluthes feel? The clutch in the rex is very stiff and I can only push it down about 1 inch. I really don't know if it is normal or what because I have never felt a aftermarket clutch before. It's not really a problem it doesn't make shifting any harder, it was just somthing I noticed.

Last edited by sLeak; 06-03-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Is the part mentioned a blow off valve? I wasn't there to look myself my dad just said it was some valve that releases exhaust or somthing from the turbo and that it was stuck closed.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sLeak
Is the part mentioned a blow off valve? I wasn't there to look myself my dad just said it was some valve that releases exhaust or somthing from the turbo and that it was stuck closed.
sounds like it could be, a wastegate/blow off valve functions as an escape route for built up pressurized air when the throttle plate is closed.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
only other thing that gets rid of exhaust gas is the wastegate...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 PM

the guy at the suby dealership said it is the "turbo exhaust control valve" and that i cant buy one i have to buy a whole new turbo.......
Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
The culprit sounds like the wastegate. The compressor bypass valve (functions as a BOV) does not pass exhaust gasses, just intake air.
Origami posted by sLeak
how do aftermarket cluthes feel? The clutch in the rex is very stiff and I can only push it down about 1 inch.
Either you have an aftermarket clutch or something is wrong with your factory clutch. Pedal effort on a WRX clutch is moderate and most folks, both men and women, have no problems driving these cars except maybe in very heavy, stop-and-go traffic. Pedal travel on factory clutch is a lot more than one inch. Pedal should rest several inches from floor when not being depressed and you should be able to press it all the way to the floor. If you have no trouble driving the car or starting from a stop, then you should be okay.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush