Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Problems with Subies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 04:28 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Question Problems with Subies?

How many of you guys have had to have your WRX's kept for a few days to fix something?

I take my WRX in for an oil change. Last time I went it to my defrost button fixed. It was stuck on all the time. Anyways while picking up the car they tell me next time you come in have us check your cooling fan

Story line: I bought my car, had to take it back for a rear brake light failure. Didn't see it before I bought it. Random CEL's. Rear defrost button stock ON all times. Now this

So I bring it back in a few weeks to get the oil changed and told the guy...take a look the the cooling fan. The tech's told me to have it check out when I was in last.

Here is the deal with the cooling fan. Evertime I turn the car on (not start it), but just turn the key to the ON postition. The cooling fan kicks on. I really never noticed it, since a few of my cars I had to keep the cooling fan on all the time because of a switch problem.

The I go to pick up my car, and they tell me well we had to order a new fan switch. Well no one called me about this! So I tell them well looks like your going to have to put me in a rental till its fixed. So I drive the rental till Wednesday. I again call and say hey is the car finished. OF COURSE THEY DON'T CALL ME They give me this excuse well the switch didn't fix it we have to order an evaporator valve which runs the AC. They tell me it looks like the car is running AC all the time without the button be ON So I'm like sweet I get the car back I'm about 10hp more just from not having so much load on the engine

NOW I'M GETTING PISSED. So I wait till Friday.....did the part come in? Again they didn't call me. Yes it did, and it didn't fix the problem. We have to possible replace the ECU and an AC line..etc,etc No we have to get the rep involved from Subaru. So I call them today and to leave 2-messages no return phone calls.

WTF!!! So now I've been without my WRX for the last 10-days. Its been nice as hell out too!!

Anyone have any horrible stories about dealers. Oh yea I only have 2500 miles on the car. Nothing done to it

When does that lemon law kick in? If they can't fix it does that mean I get a totally new WRX?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
It just sounds like an incompetant dealer. They should have done it right the first time, but everyone makes mistakes, I guess with that kind of problem its a trial and error sort of thing. If I were you I would see if there are any other dealers near you and take it to them next time you need service. Other than that I really havent heard of too many WRX's being lemon's or having big problems except for the dreaded cold clutch jutter and transmissions getting fouled. Your car sounds like a fluke.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
I believe that the fans run with the ignition on if the AC is on. The AC is on with the defroster. Did they ever fix the defroster switch?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:48 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
never heard stuff like that happening, you can try another dealer and get ready to declare it as a lemon.

i have faith in the dealership i go to, but i had to take it in a few times and if i get one more problem i plan to delcare it as a lemon.
they said my case was quite rare, Lucky us!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
^^^ agree. take it somewhere else, even if you have to drive 50+ miles. the Lemon Law is tricky at best
Old 04-27-2004, 04:56 AM

Well the reason I bought my WRX from these guys was they were the only dealer in a 2-hr radius

Ouch

They did fix the defrost. It was the rear defrost on the window only

I really don't feel like driving my car 2-hrs to get to another dealer

2nd thing is I can't even drive my car cause they tore it apart to the point that its not even drivable!! WTF
Old 04-30-2004, 07:22 AM

Well 14-days in now No WRX

Problem: AC fan runs all the time

AC works fine, car runs fine, but the dealer won't give me back the car till they fix this warranty problem????

They have about replaced the whole damn AC now and can't figure it out. Turn the key to ON position. AC fan runs. I did not have the AC running. They have replaced the fan switch, 1-AC line, evaportator valve, AC control unit, now they said they have to get a thermo-temp switch.

WTF

What would be causing the AC fan to run all the time. They won't give me back the car, cause they are not going to keep replacing premature failed AC fans, hence they they are keeping it

Tech's are stumped, they are talking the Subaru factory guys...their stumped. They are ramdomly trying stuff to see if it fixes it.

What should I do!!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:24 AM

18-Days later car is fixed

Evaporator thermo-switch was the culperate
Old 05-05-2004, 07:31 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Glad to hear you got your car back