Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Problem with DRL's after cruise control installed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 PM

Question Problem with DRL's after cruise control installed.

I have a Canadian '97 OBS. I installed a cruise control kit for a US OBS. The cruise control works fine but the DRL's are not on unless the clutch pedal is pressed. Basically, everytime I change gears I flash the person infront of me with my DRL's. My solution so far has been to just leave the lights fully on all the time.

Is this just a problem with firmware in the US cruise control module (that would be fixed with a simple replacement with a CDN module) or is there something else I should look at? Has anyone encountered this problem and found a fix?

Thx.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 PM

No solution yet. Haven't looked for anything lately though.

Doesn't disconnecting your DRL's also disable your high-beam capability as well?
Old 09-10-2004, 01:17 PM

I had a bit of a brainwave last night on a similar line...I would think that disconnecting the input to the DRL controller (either grounding it or tying it to 12V) might fix the problem. The only possible side effect I could think of is that perhaps the DRL's will always be on (as opposed to turning off whenever the emergency brake is engaged).

Whereabouts under the dash is the DRL control box located?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:35 AM

If the clutch switch simply makes a connection to ground and the e-brake switch does the same, my guess is that the DRL module has an internal pull-up to 12 V on that input and it would probably be OK to just break the connection and not tie it to ground or 12 V externally (since that is basically how it is when neither the clutch switch or the e-brake switch are engaged).