Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Paint Flaking off on Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Paint Flaking off on Hood Scoop

Hello all - I have a 2002 Blue Subaru WRX with 50,000 miles and have had little to no issues up until recently. Now, my paint has begun to flake on my hood scoop. Has anyone else experienced this before? We all know how bad the paint chips on our vehicles but flaking? Any idea wether or not my warranty will cover this? I wanted to get some opinions before I even bothered dealing with my Subaru Dealership or Subaru of America. Any input will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Flaking off on Hood Scoop-wrxpaint02.jpg  
Old 03-15-2006, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by max333
Hello all - I have a 2002 Blue Subaru WRX with 50,000 miles and have had little to no issues up until recently. Now, my paint has begun to flake on my hood scoop. Has anyone else experienced this before? We all know how bad the paint chips on our vehicles but flaking? Any idea wether or not my warranty will cover this? I wanted to get some opinions before I even bothered dealing with my Subaru Dealership or Subaru of America. Any input will be appreciated.
The hood scoop is plastic, not metal -- any chance it got hit by gravel or something? That looks like paint loss from an impact on a plastic surface. Do you see any bubbles in the surrounding paint?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:11 PM

This paint flake is on the back left-hand side of the scoop, facing the driver seat. No impact from rocks or anything, just flaking. There are bubbles of flake all around the lower left-hand side of the flake as well. I tried to upload a bigger image but it was beyond the capacity of the file size. Here's a close up of just this one flake, but you can see the bubbling occuring clearer here. Also, flaking is occurring all along the back edge of the scoop, no damage from rocks/road hazards, just flaking from a poor paint job.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Flaking off on Hood Scoop-wrxpaint03.jpg  
Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Yes, the white is the primer, it would be grey if it got down to the plastic itself. That sucks. You are about 20,000 miles and two years since the day they would cover that under warranty, but give the dealership a call just for the heck of it. My dealership still works on my car under warranty, and I've done extensive mods and am well past 36k miles.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:16 PM

Would anyone have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to get this fixed? A ballpark figure would be appreciated. I have no experience with body/paint work.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
I dunno how much it would cost to fix, as every area has different prices for labor. You could look around for a used scoop of the same colour. Lots of people change out their stock scoops to the bigger STi ones and it's not unusual to see these for sale. Or upgrade to a bigger one yourself.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 04 blue wrx
wow i have the exact same problem.. i have 3 paint chips, ONLY on my hood scoop.. something is wrong with the hood scoop.. its painted poorly
Old 03-17-2006, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I have a wrb hoodscoop I could sell that would be cheaper than repainting -- $50 plus shipping, good condition. Or you could buy a bigger aftermarket one, I got the jdm sti scoop, 33% larger than stock

PM me if interested
Old 03-19-2006, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by max333
Would anyone have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to get this fixed? A ballpark figure would be appreciated. I have no experience with body/paint work.
Well, my dad just whacked off his mirror in a bank drive-thru, and the mirror cost him around $130. The body shop had to paint the mirror and it ended up costing around $230 in total. Keep in mind that those costs are probably including the labor of installation as well.

I would estimate that it would probably cost you about $75 to get the scoop repainted. It's tough to say. Take it to the body shop and get an estimate on it.

Another suggestion is that if it's going to be really expensive to get done, treat yourself to a new carbon fiber one.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Most paint shops charge a color matching/mixing fee and then an actual painting fee. You might tell them "Subraru 02 WRB" but they will insist on mixing their own paint color to match the car body; most likely they will take your gas filler door for a few days and use the shop spectrometer to get a match. Once they have mixed your paint the actual painting is cheaper. I'd say get the scoop painted, and while you are at it do the hood, grille, front bumper and side skirts. After 50,000 miles those have to be pretty beat up by now. You might as well pay the color matching fee just once.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 06 STI blue/gold traded for 07 STI blue/gold
that second pic of the flakin looks like a chubby dude with his mouth open wearin a cap.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by JuniorRSX
that second pic of the flakin looks like a chubby dude with his mouth open wearin a cap.

LOL.

Beginnings of a mullet also....