Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

No Start Mystery - starter turns but doesn't turnover

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
No Start Mystery - starter turns but doesn't turnover

Monday mornings... I went to start my 93 impreza L and for the first time in 210k + miles, it didn't start. After two days of investigating, I'm totally clueless. It has a 1.8L and is totally stock [I know, you're thinking to yourself - 'weak'. But it's a great little car.] Anyway, here's where I am. The starter is turning, but I can hear that the engine is not firing like normal. The starter is turning, and the engine is turning also [all belts turn, etc. with the starter]. I thought that maybe my timing belt snapped, but I took the shrowd off and it is intact and spinning with the starter also. I took out one of the plugs and watched it fire - sparks fine. I disconnected the gas line from the filter under the hood and the fuel pump kicked on with the starter and pumped fuel through. I sprayed starter fluid directly into the intake and nothing. I felt the exhaust pipe and there seems to be pressure coming from the exhaust [pretty limp, but it's only starting]. No check engine lights have appeared. I don't know what else to check. It's gotten pretty sluggish this last year, but there have been no major problems. I pulled it up the curb and into the driveway Thursday or Friday and the following Monday it didn't start up. The only thing out of the ordinary was the coldness of the Monday morning - 40's - but today was in the 70's and this afternoon it still didn't start. I appreciate your help!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 1993 Impreza L EJ20 Turbo FWD
pressure test the cylinders, one or more might have gone dead.
sometimes when it gets bad enough it will prevent a motor from firing up.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
This is a 4-month-old thread, and he hasn't posted since. Presumably he figured it out by now.