Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Newbie Scooby (soon to buy '02 or '03 WRX - what to look out for?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 01 Eclipse and hopefully 02 WRX soon
Talking Newbie Scooby

I'm planning to buy a wrx soon, anybody have any tips or pointers when buying? i'm gonna buy a 02-03 bugeye. Anything i should look for in particular when looking and test driving them? all help will be much appreciated
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 PM

You'll probably want to do individual searchs for the following and ask the owner whether these TSB were fixed:

clutch shudder
fuel line leak in cold temps
loose seat bolt
ABS ecu fix

Do the typical used car checks (look for repainting, overspray, rim curbage, tranny gear smoothness, clutch wear...

There are lots of rattles in the WRX so keep an ear out for those (dash, stereo area)

keep an eye out on scratches/pits/cracks in the windshield (subaru glass is thin/cheap)

keep an eye out on the fabric on the seats for wear marks/tears etc...

keep an eye out for stone chips in paint. check front bumper/hood and lower door panels. Paint is notoriously thin

Make sure to test the car cold so you can experience it at it's worse.

Oh yeah, and that whole "glass tranny" thing...

Good luck! Bug eyes rule! Get to know the previous owner as well. that will give lots of clues as to how the car was taken care of/driven.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:39 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by mr_yellow
You'll probably want to do individual searchs for the following and ask the owner whether these TSB were fixed:

clutch shudder
loose seat bolt
ABS ecu fix

Do the typical used car checks (look for repainting, overspray, rim curbage, tranny gear smoothness, clutch wear...

There are lots of rattles in the WRX so keep an ear out for those (dash, stereo area)

keep an eye out on scratches/pits/cracks in the windshield (subaru glass is thin/cheap)

keep an eye out on the fabric on the seats for wear marks/tears etc...

keep an eye out for stone chips in paint. check front bumper/hood and lower door panels. Paint is notoriously thin

Make sure to test the car cold so you can experience it at it's worse.

Oh yeah, and that whole "glass tranny" thing...

Good luck! Bug eyes rule! Get to know the previous owner as well. that will give lots of clues as to how the car was taken care of/driven.
What he ^^^^said. Tell the owner you want to come see it 1st thing in the AM. Test the hood to see if it is indeed cold. Have him start it and you watch the exhaust... if it puffs like a diesel walk on ~ unless you want to replace the turbo with an after market ~ then barter on my son!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:34 AM

Car Info: 01 Eclipse and hopefully 02 WRX soon
thanks for the help guys, i'm planning to buy this blue one, 02 bugeye with 24k miles. Clutch is good and it has no dings but a lil scratch on the rear bumper, I carfaxed it and he did the recalls. Hopefully i'll have a bugeye this weekend!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:47 AM

02 blue bugeye with only 24k miles?!

I'm so jealous!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mr_yellow

clutch shudder
loose seat bolt
ABS ecu fix
AFAIK the only recalls were for the seat bolt and the cruise control.

The ABS is an optional, no-cost swap out if you don't like the behaviour of the original unit.

The TSBs (fuel, clutch etc.) won't necessarily have been performed unless the car exhibited the problem while under warranty.