Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Need help! CEL Light...Cooling Fan Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Need help! CEL Light...Cooling Fan Relay? Code 0483

I got a CEL in my RS and took it to Autozone to have it diagnosed and they said it was probably a Cooling Fan Relay. I have noticed that my Subaru, when left to idle for a few minutes will start to get hot, and the temp gauge creeps up to just shy of the red zone.

My questions are:

Where can I get such a part? Can I replace it myself?

Thanks!

ETA: I went back and they got a code #0483...

I found two fan relays in the main fuse box and pulled each one as the fans were running...each one caused its respective fan to shut down...ideas?

Last edited by Mizzou02RS; 05-16-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:25 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Thumbs up

I'm sure you can get the part from a Suby dealer, and I'm sure you can replace it yourself if you know where it is.

Here is a link to the wiring diagram for a 2002 RS, not sure what year you have but most subaru's don't change a whole lot through the years.

http://static.flickr.com/47/147689481_86ed523d24_o.jpg
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
What was the exact code? I wouldn't rely on what Autozone told you, if you have the actual code then you can proceed with proper troubleshooting. Best to be fully informed before you start buying parts that you may not need.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:49 PM

I went back and they got a code #0483...

I found two fan relays in the main fuse box and pulled each one as the fans were running...each one caused its respective fan to shut down...ideas?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 AM
VIP Member

This code is set because the coolant temperature is not coming down as expected when the ECU turns on the fans. If the fans are running the problem won't be the relays. You could have a bad thermostat or clogged radiator. Does your temp gauge read normally?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mulder
This code is set because the coolant temperature is not coming down as expected when the ECU turns on the fans. If the fans are running the problem won't be the relays. You could have a bad thermostat or clogged radiator. Does your temp gauge read normally?
Yes, it reads normally pretty much all the time. The only abnormalities I have noticed lately was when left to idle for a few minutes the temperature gauge read high briefly, then went down. I noticed the coolant level kinda low yesterday so I added some. Today, I disconnected the battery and let the ECU reset itself...so far no CEL...
Old 05-17-2006, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mizzou02RS
Yes, it reads normally pretty much all the time. The only abnormalities I have noticed lately was when left to idle for a few minutes the temperature gauge read high briefly, then went down. I noticed the coolant level kinda low yesterday so I added some. Today, I disconnected the battery and let the ECU reset itself...so far no CEL...
Ok, the fact that the gauge goes up at idle is a bad sign. Under normal conditions the gauge should never move, it is calibrated to remain in the center and not show the temperature variations that occur during normal driving. When you see it go up, it means there is a problem and the temp is defintely higher than it is supposed to be. So, I'm thinking you may have a problem with your thermostat or radiator. It could still be the fans if they are not running at full speed for some reason.
Resetting the ECU will NOT fix this, especially since it is most likely a mechanical problem. I suggest you have your car checked out at a shop before this gets worse and causes engine damage.