Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

My first experience isn't a good one.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
I sympathize for you being put through this, but I don't see how you could feel cheated by Subaru in any way. If the vehicle was in an accident and repaired by a 3rd party shop (apparently improperly), then any warranty work to fix a problem caused by a previous repair/accident would be above and beyond their obligation. Without all of the details, it's hard to know if this is the case.

btw, I'm not sure how you were treated on other boards, but I saw your thread on NASIOC. I didn't see any immature responses (quite the opposite).

I hope SOA is able to work something out for you and/or the previous owner. Good luck.

- Kean
Old 02-10-2004, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Could be that you were asking about your WRX on a Mustang board. I wouldn't read too much into their negative responses.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally posted by dfung
Just want to tell you how thankful I am of everyone's advice and support here. I've navigated to other boards in regards to this and I get nothing by juvenile, immature responses. So, I appreciate everything you guys are recommending and saying.

What exactly can Subaru of America do if I call them directly? I would think SOA would be on the side of their dealership rather than mine. It kind of stinks because my girlfriend just bought a '97 Outback and is now probably going to turn away from the Subaru dealership for service.

I do have the original documentation from the previous owner's insurance company that "guarantees that the workmanship of the repairs listed....will be of the quality generally accepted in teh automobile repair business. The limit of Allstate's (insurance company) obligation under this guarantee will be to remedy any departures from such standard. This guarantee will continue during your ownership of the vehicle identified on the estimate."

Somehow I doubt the original repair shop that did the insurance work would remedy the issues that were "apparently" discovered by the Subaru dealership. Besides, i dont know if the guarantee complies now that ownership has been changed......though theoretically the car isn't mine yet. (brought the car in for check engine light to pass smog and then send in transfer of ownership paperwork).
SOA may be willing to work things out with you. The dealer will not want to pay this out of pocket so they tell you taht you have to pay. If the dealer does the work under warranty and lets say the engine is a wash. SOA will want the old engine and sometimes certain troubleshooting things have to have been done. (compression, oil presure, etc, etc) Other wise i would get a dealers lisence and just give my friends new engines every 30,000 miles. The factory has a lot more pull. I would not be rude at all with the factory rep. In fact you might want to beg a little. They may not pay 100% buy may split the cost with you. I know that Ford and GM will do that sometimes. The service writer and manager will definately recomensd to the SOA what they want also, so if you have been impolite to them in any way your chances may be shot. Hopefully the deal with the prvious owner works out. If it does not, the only recourse you may have is to overfinance your car to get the money to do the repairs without taking it out of your pocket. This may be also an advantage for your lender as well because despite credit, if you have a bad vehicle they might fear getting their money back. If you lend more (bank willing)to repair the damage correctly then they might be protecting their investment. Cont.........
Old 02-11-2004, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I also think that if you have not finalixed the sale then the car is not yours. Did you sign the title? did he/she sign the title? If not you may be able to demand your money back. If you don't get it back, keep the car in the conditionm that it is in and take the previous owner to small claims for the other 80% of the money. I think someone also said to get a lawyer but this could get expensive but if it's less than the repairs to make the car 100% correct including mechanically and structurally then it may be woth it. Be realistic if the engine is bad and youhave to have the frame straightend and replace missing parts this could cost probably no less than 5 -7 thosand dollars. Good luck over all and i really feel bad for you. Cars are enough of a money pit. If it is a fun car the money may be worth it but you have not even had a chance to drive, or experience your (possible) really cool car.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:37 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
In California, I believe it's the seller's responsibility to make sure that the car passes SMOG. Does this help in your situation?

Side Note: whenever I've sold one of my cars, I've always SMOGged it 1st to prevent the buyer from coming back to me.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
Don't want to agree, but my first experience has not been that well either.

About a month after having my '04 wrx, on my way home from work I get rear ended because of some idot who was fooling around with his radio.

Not to worry though the car is fully repaired but I'll always know it was hit.

Now, just recently I noticed an oil leak. I take it into the dealership to find out its something to do with the oil switch and when the engine was built in the factory a hole was drilled to far or something. So a new engine is being ordered and with only 6,000 miles they are swapping the engine.

Hopefully the rest of my future will be a pleasant one!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
so what's the deal on your car now?
Old 02-15-2004, 02:17 PM

sonicsuby do you mean me?
Old 02-15-2004, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally posted by jester
sonicsuby do you mean me?
I mean dfung.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Regardless, the car technically is still under warrenty unless there is a stipulation in the basic SOA warrenty contract that states that the warrenty is null and void if an accident occures. To my knowledge this is not the case.... otherwise no one in there right mind would buy there cars.

I would try and determine whether the "noise" is potentialy related to the accident and may have been overlooked by the insurance adjuster as an internal unseen.... they are human to.
If there is a shadow of a doubt that either the insurance adjuster or the shop that did the repairs failed to catch or report errors then that may be your course of action. Dont be scared to threaten legal action....I would pour over the warrenty and force SOA to prove it was the accident; after all there the once denying the claim.

The conversation should go like: Hi I need some information.... yes my attorney instructed to ask for any documentation pertaining to this repair...etc. Or if and when you speak with SOA make sure that the warrenty is in order then call them and nail them to the cross or youll call the BBB.... car companies hate bad publisty especially if they think an attorney is invovled.

You'd be suprised at what kind of response you'll get people even think there goanna get sued.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Also...just out of curiosity, why was the person you bought the car from selling it??
Old 02-28-2004, 03:57 PM

just got the car back, apparently they replaced the short block assembly.

however, i now notice radiator fluid leaking/dripping in two spots

not happy at all!

Quick Reply: My first experience isn't a good one.....