Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Misfire errors and denial of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:52 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
technically speaking "anything" engine related mods can void your warranty on your engine. i may be completely wrong, but thats the way i've always seen it. the funny thing is i work @ a subaru dealer and i've never seen someone with a situation similar 2 yours and have warranty work granted. if u look at it in lamans terms when a company offers warrantie on their cars-its for the car as its equipped. . . not as the owners sees fit(in terms of aftermarket parts) grant it susp will not void engine warranty, but in a sense u kinda crossed a "gray" area. your best bet is to get all your info and try an attourney for more clarification
Old 04-09-2004, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
umm, well, they say the turbo timer voids any warranty for sure, not sure why though. I don't see why exhaust would cause a "piston problem" and it's doubtful intake would either.

In CA the law does state that the mod has to be DIRECTLY related to the failure, and the burden of proof is on the dealer. Problem is that it's a pain in the *** to get it fixed once they deny you. You might contact a lawyer.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
bottom line(IMO) a warranty is granted from a manufacturer based solely on the fact that the car was not abused...or anything else not installed on the car at the time of manufacture. if u look at this way: would you pay for someones repairs knowing they put in "performance enhancing" equipment?(which was not installed at time of manufacture) a warranty is basically an insurance policy. . . like any insurance policy there are certain guidelines that they set.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Originally posted by gdogg
bottom line(IMO) a warranty is granted from a manufacturer based solely on the fact that the car was not abused...or anything else not installed on the car at the time of manufacture. if u look at this way: would you pay for someones repairs knowing they put in "performance enhancing" equipment?(which was not installed at time of manufacture) a warranty is basically an insurance policy. . . like any insurance policy there are certain guidelines that they set.
I totally agree. Unfortunetly, it's just life, life has rules, so do warranties. I know my parts void my warrenty and I won't complain if something breaks, I'll just put my stock parts on and hope i get through if I have a warrenty issue. People just need to understand that there are rules.