Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

looking at used subaru impreza wrx 02

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM

Car Info: hope to get a subaru impreza wrx 2002
looking at used subaru impreza wrx 02

Found a stock 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-speed, spoiler, silver with 61,000 miles on it, from out of Florida. The dealer is asking for $15,975. Only found one door ding, hard to see. The trunk liner is pulled from one corner and needs fixing. Plus had my brother with to test drive it since he is a mechanic(works on mostly american brand cars and wish I would buy a PONTIAC), anyway he drove it and looked at the motor. He didn't see anything wrong at all. Bother said he could work on most of it. The dealer just got it in, and were going to get a new O2 sensor because the check engine light was on indicating the O2 sensor. So looked at the car when it was all dirty and not set to be put on the lot quite yet. I'm yet to ask about if the seat and curse control call back has been done to the car yet. All so to see if the 60,000 miles maintenance stuff has all ready has been done. If not I'm sure to only buy if they drop the price a good bit, but if that all has been taken care might buy at that price. Little cheaper if can. So what you guys think good price???? And any other suggestion??

P.S.
Plus first time drive stick was when I test drove this car, didn't do to bad maybe because of drive 2-speed forklifts around like a mad man. Tips on this too. Brother gave me a few when with me.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 11-23-2005, 08:46 PM

Car Info: wrx
price is aite, if they got the 60k maintenance. but i could find lower. good thing comes to those who wait.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2006 wrx limited sedan
price seems high to me considering you can get an 06 brand new in the low 20's. i would say 12.5 at most is what you should pay.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
a new one is over 25 otd. Watch out for the tranny.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies! Only thing is never see cars like this around much to buy, with out going 200 miles way to look at them. Plus the price is lower than what I've seen on the internet too, for the most part. Still thinking about it, also have other people that might buy my old car. Or I will just trade it in, not sure yet on that either. Right now I have 91 ford Taurus lol, not going to be worth much at all.

On another note how hard is it to change out CD players and add amp + subs to these cars?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I think that price is too high for the milage
Old 11-27-2005, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I think that price is too high for the milage
We're talking about a Subaru here. That car has 80 to 100,000 more miles to go before it quits. 15k is a totally reasonable price, and right in line with blue-book value. 60k on a used Chevy is a little different than 60k on a Subaru.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Talking

Found a better deal maybe, but is about 200 miles away which kind of sucks. It's a black Subaru Impreza WRX 2002 automatic 37k only asking $14,995. So I'm sure I'll have to go check that out this week or weekend and then make up my mind!

As for the other Impreza the dealer is getting the door dings out and fixing other little stretches. They are doing that before putting it out on the Lot. I just happen to be lucky to know they had it before it was ready to be on the sell lot. I still haven't tried to talk them down in price, kind of want to look at this other Subaru first and most likely to buy that one if it all looks good to me. Just worried that both will be sold if I don't act soon. To tell you the truth I don't think either car is on the sell lot yet, since they are new arrivals at both places.

If I don't get either one I could buy new I guess too. Not sure if I want to blow that kind of cash on that though.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:43 PM

AUTOMATIC?
Althoug I'm not sure your preferrence on the transmission type, I recommend you not to choose automatic. If you choose impreza because of the fun facotr it has, automatic is not for that. I am 95% sure on this.

Also, that's why the deal of the automatic imreza looks good... usually, automatic doesn't sell as much as manual transmission.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by meilers
We're talking about a Subaru here. That car has 80 to 100,000 more miles to go before it quits. 15k is a totally reasonable price, and right in line with blue-book value. 60k on a used Chevy is a little different than 60k on a Subaru.
I just mentioned that it was too high for me, I picked up my 02 wagon in march 04 with 19K miles for $17K and I see 02 - 03 wrx's with 30-40K miles selling for $14K - $15K on craigslist. Plus, this one might need a new o2 sensor, maintenence, is dirty, pulled up carpet, ect...

I know all about subarus durability, my first was a hand me down from my dad that lasted up to 204K miles and thats after I jumped it and crashed it 3 times lol
Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by boyeon
AUTOMATIC?
Althoug I'm not sure your preferrence on the transmission type, I recommend you not to choose automatic. If you choose impreza because of the fun facotr it has, automatic is not for that. I am 95% sure on this.

Also, that's why the deal of the automatic imreza looks good... usually, automatic doesn't sell as much as manual transmission.
yeah, once you learn, the 5 speed manual will be much more fun!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 PM

just learned that the black car is a manual too now, but no spoiler. Plus don't like black color on cars that much. So silver with spoiler looks a lot better to me! Going to make up my mind on Saturday on the Silver one when I talk to the dealer again, or head to the twin cities to look at the cheaper black one. Also the look at other Subaru dealers up that way if I go. Considering a wrx wagon too, na umm kind of. For junk storage, fishing, camping, ect. then again you can see my 1500 watt amp and kicker subs in the wagon...... stick to sedan I think then.

Later,
Aaron
Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 PM

I got that silver 2002 Subaru 61k 5-speed sedan, but I think I might not keep it. It's a cool car that's for sure, having cel few times all ready is what is wreaking my hopes of the car. First dealer was putting a CO2 sensor in before buying it, then got half way home with it cel came on and turned right around to the dealer. It was a waste gate valve the dealer fixed it no cost to me. Got it back now a little over a half a week the cel came back on, so the car is sitting at the dealer again to be fixed. Not sure what is wrong with it yet. Also I am a little stressed on learning stick at times and now this. Just getting good at driving stick too, need to learn starting dead stops on hills is about it. Got the dealer to even trade it out for something else if I so choose do so or money back maybe or they fix it and I keep it. Might look at a Nissan Maxima they have or Olds-mobile alero or Dodge stratus. What you guys think what should I do? Like the car a lot, but what's the point if it's being fixed more than driving it. Or I just have bad luck right now?

Peace out,
Aaron

Last edited by stroeha@mac.com; 12-19-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 AM

Dealer said it turned out to be a evap emision control leak loose gas cap or filled while running. Don't think that is the problem, I made sure the gas cap was on tight and didn't fill while running. Might be some other kind of leak. Now with the car back the CEL came on again, I'll have my brother check the code first and see. Ill tell the dealer about asp too. It could be the cold weather, the car was from Florida.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 AM

Car Info: Bugeye's
Man that sucks, i'm from MN too and just got my stock bug eye'd rex. I love it. It has high miles though, 110k but I got it for $9k from Suburban Chrysler in St. Paul. It was owned by Subaru and their rep, a mid 30's family guy drove it. Traded it in for a Durango after he had his second kid.

Its a great little runner, but I am replacing the timing belt currently. I figured it would need replacement. Subaru said it didn't look bad, but it was never replaced so I figure I might as well replace it while I am expecting to.

Quick Reply: looking at used subaru impreza wrx 02