Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Left side cam pully won't line up (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM

bring it to me

For the first thing you don't know what your doing. Don't go and pull a branch off your shade tree to check TDC. Your valves are probably hitting each other or the top of #4 piston. To line up the marks on that engine you have to line up the crank mark, and that is mid stroke for all pistons. Stop the bleeding and tow it to a qualified shop.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:21 PM

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX WRB
the reason the cam gear turned soons you got the belt off is cause the cam lobes were holding the valves open and the belt was keeping the cam from turning. you will have to turn the cam back to get the belt to line up with the cam gear it will take a little force. If you saying the mark on the belt is off one tooth on the gear from the factory? imo i would get all the marks to line up if your off a little bit turn the belt around and it should then line up i had that same problem i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't line up with one of the marks so i turned the belt around and it fit perfectly
hope that answeres your question
Nathan