Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Keyless Entry Remote Failing Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 AM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback "Rocky Mountain Edition"
Angry Keyless Entry Remote Failing Me

Hi everyone,

I have a '99 Legacy Outback "Rocky Mountain Edition" manual tranny that I bought two weeks ago. The former owner warned me that the keyless remotes weren't fantastic, and that I should replace the batteries on them.

I took his advice, and replaced the batteries on each remote, but I'm finding that they perform spottily at best. I'll walk up to the car, push the button firmly for the half second it requires, and nothing will happen. I'll continue to push the button for up to a minute before the car unlocks.

Is this a common problem? I saw at least two other postings when I was considering buying that mentioned this issue, but the posts are gone at this point.

I may be changing out the car battery in the next few days since it's fairly old, so I suppose this could be the issue if the keyless entry system requires a full 12V+ to operate properly... but that's my only thought on the problem.

Any suggestions? If I can't figure it out on my own, I'll bring it to the dealership, but I'd like to save the $$.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
open your remote again and check the +/- connectors on the remote. sometime there could be some build-up from battery acid or oxidation of some kind. clean it up a bit, maybe even with some electronic cleaner from Kragen and see if that helps. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2006, 11:21 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
If you need a replacement there's this guy on ebay that sells used keyless entry remotes (you can reprogram your alarm to work with it) I bought 2 @ $15 shipped for my WRX. They both work great.

Here's a link to a FOB he has up right now that should work for your car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...mZ140005689662
Though it looks like his prices went up a bit... but $15 is still cheaper than buying a new one @ the dealer ($50 IIRC)