Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Jiffy lube/anyone to do my 60K checkup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:05 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Jiffy lube/anyone to do my 60K checkup?

Ok folks,

Heres my subie "noob" question of the year.....
i have a '02 wrx...
I am really trying to get away from the dealership and its astronomical fees.

I need to get my 60K checkup done...below this post is a list of what it includes. I would like to get all the recommended things checked and replaced if necessary..... can other shops do this? or jiffy lube or something? like i said, im sick of paying the dealership 500+ bucks for practically nothing but checkups...
I simply cannot afford it this time with triple rent this month, va car tax, etc. im a broke bastard.

MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE DETAILS

Vehicle: 2002 IMPREZA WRX SEDAN
Interval: 60000 miles / 60 month service

Action Description

Inspect Steering and suspension

Inspect Clutch operation

Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Brake linings and drums

Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Replace Brake fluid

Inspect Automatic transmission fluid

Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Replace Spark plugs

Replace Air cleaner element

Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections

Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

Replace Engine oil filter

Replace Engine oil

Inspect Camshaft drive belt

Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
SubieScottWRX is online now Edit/Delete Message
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
If you're that broke, are you knowledgeable enough to do you own inspections and minor maintenance? Then you just pay the dealer to do the harder stuff.

The harsh reality is, cars are expensive to own, and if you want it done properly you have to bite the bullet. Or, you can just decpreciate the value of your car faster but letting the maintenance slide. People poopoo this idea, but if you don't care about a shorter life and long term problems (maybe you need to delay the cost) then that's a viable option. Just make sure you disclose this info when you sell the vehicle.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
If you're that broke, are you knowledgeable enough to do you own inspections and minor maintenance? Then you just pay the dealer to do the harder stuff.

The harsh reality is, cars are expensive to own, and if you want it done properly you have to bite the bullet. Or, you can just decpreciate the value of your car faster but letting the maintenance slide. People poopoo this idea, but if you don't care about a shorter life and long term problems (maybe you need to delay the cost) then that's a viable option. Just make sure you disclose this info when you sell the vehicle.
thansk for the input....but i guess i could go back to the dealer, but there's got to be a cheaper alternative.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Whatever you do, NEVER take your car to a Jiffy Lube or similar place. They have an unfortunate track record of ruining cars by stripping drain plugs (causing total oil loss when the plug falls out), draining the engine and refilling the trans, and so on.
Use a dealer or independent shop, or do it yourself.
Dealer prices for these services tend to be high because their hourly rates are higher than most shops, and in addition they tend to add their own unneeded services to the schedule to inflate the cost and make more profits. Typically they will include things such as engine and coolant flushes, fuel system cleaning etc. that are neither necessary or required by Subaru.
If you show them the service schedule from Subaru and insist that they perform only those services, the price may then become more reasonable. If they refuse you should go elsewhere.
Note that many of the services on the 60K list are only "inspections" which don't require anything actually being done, unless something is found to be worn or in need of attention. The most important additional item for the 60K on the WRX is the spark plug change, the rest is a repeat of the items that should have been performed at 30K.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Oh dear god, DO NOT take it to jiffy lube.....E V E R ! !

Google search "Jiffy Lube Horror Stories" for some funny/scary stories.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:34 AM

I'm not familiar with where you live, but here in the SF Bay area, there are numerous independant auto mechanics. Call around in the yellow pages and find out who has Subaru experience. Even someone who has worked on Legacy, Forester etc. should be a good starting point.

With respect to the 60k service, any competant auto mechanic should be able to do the work. Other than having boxer engines, Subarus are pretty conventional.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
try a local firestone. they do that stuff
Old 05-09-2006, 11:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/why-you-dont-go-jiffy-lube-133854/

YWIA