Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Intermittent vibration at highway speeds (03 WRX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
are you feeling the vibration through the steering wheel or through your butt (the rest of the car)?

I was having some wierd vibration and it turns out it's a combination of things in my case.

1. I replaced my steering rack bushings. You can order some stiffer whiteline bushings from www.isrperformance for about $30.

2. I need to replace my harsh *** tires. I have aftermarket 17" tires and I bought them when they first came out so there was no customer review data for them yet. That's the cost of living on the bleeding edge I guess

Could also be some wierdo alignment issue, or an issue with a wheel being out of balance. Have you recently replaced your wheels?
Old 06-10-2004, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
I have the same problem with my 03 WRX, about the same speeds. Enough to make my watch rattle. The difference with mine is the rotors are warped as well so I gotta get them replaced. Just have to find a vendor in Toronto for slotted rotors. I still have the OEM tires (new) so I don't think it's from them. Mine hopefully is just a rotor problem as there is a good shudder when applying about 40% braking, as just picked up the car used about 1 month ago.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Same kind of thing happens to me at EXACTLY 30 and 60mph. Took it in and they said it was a problem with the rear diff. and replaced it (also yanking my warranty at the same time, since they felt it was abuse. Not sure that is possible, especially since i baby my STOCK wrx). Anyways, they sent the car home with me only for me to discover that it is still there! Hope it helps knowing it probably isn't the rear diff! But you may already know that!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:50 PM

yikes, hope it's not that. Good thing I got the extended warranty just in case.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
I was about to post, rebalance your tires... but I think you got that covered. My old car did that at one point, but it was due to one front rotor being warped slightly.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
Weird! My "sensation" at about 105 mph on a super-smooth NY parkway (yes, Virginia, there are some) turned out to be the radio antenna vibrating like mad! It sounded like I had been shot and even the wheel shook (vibrated, at least.) in my hands. Cure: Obvious: put down the antenna when you go fast. Honest!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:22 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by nypatrick
Weird! My "sensation" at about 105 mph on a super-smooth NY parkway (yes, Virginia, there are some) turned out to be the radio antenna vibrating like mad! It sounded like I had been shot and even the wheel shook (vibrated, at least.) in my hands. Cure: Obvious: put down the antenna when you go fast. Honest!
I know at about 120+ the scoop on the 04' WRX starts to howl also makes the car shake pretty bad.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:07 PM

I'll try the antenna trick, my rotors were remachined and the pulsing while braking is gone. Still have a slight rumble feeeling and can feel it more when coasting down a hill. Also felt it as floored it from 100 kms to 150 kms so under power as well. I know it's not the clutch or tranny as it still occurs when clutch pressed in or put in neutral.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:18 PM

that's what I'm thinkking, it's going to the dealer on wed to get checked.

Quick Reply: Intermittent vibration at highway speeds (03 WRX)