Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

I'm at a loss (CEL indicates gas cap, but that doesn't fix it)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:59 PM

Car Info: Silver 02 WRX
yeah its p0457 i got it checked about a hour ago
Old 03-31-2004, 01:48 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Moved from General forum.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 05-15-2004, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
My CEL came on today out of nowhere. I turned on my car to warm it up and the CEL came and stayed on. I also noticed my rpm bogging up and down a little before settling. Are these the same symptoms you guys experienced? Damn light is annoying me! My car has a DIY grounding kit and i removed the BOV (put stock diverted valve back on) i had on it several months ago. Is it possible that i have a vacuum leak going on?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:38 PM

Car Info: www.autoquoteresearch.com -- 02WRX
Wingless Wonder is right! Axis of Evil. The Fascist state is rolling on!

Big DeWey, what base are you on?

Max
Old 05-18-2004, 08:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to have this problem fixed. I told them that it happens consistantly, and instead of just clearing the code they need to find out what's wrong and fix it. I'll post the results....
Old 05-19-2004, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

I just got off the phone with the dealership, and they found a loose hose attached to the fuel canister that was causing the CEL. Hopefully that fixed it and I've gotten rid of this problem for good!!!

:banana:
Old 05-24-2004, 07:14 AM
VIP Member

Well, two days after getting my car back, the CEL cam back. This is really beginning to **** me off! I called the dealer back, and they said that it could be that the actual fuel canister has a leak in it at the seams. I don't know if they really have any idea what's causing it, but I'll bring it back again and hope they can fix it. We'll see. I'll post with updates.

<---------I'm all of those
Old 06-24-2004, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

So I dropped the car off at the dealer today to have the problem fixed. This time they pulled two codes:

P0457 - Evaporative emission control system leak detected (fuel cap loose/off)

P1443 - Evaporative emission control system vent control function problem

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and they said they are going to have to send the ECU to SOA to have it reprogrammed. Apparently they couldn't find anything wrong, so SOA told them to ship the ECU to them. SOA is going to pay for me to have a rental car for 3 days while I'm out of my car. I have to bring my car back in on Monday so they can ship the ECU (if they did it today they wouldn't get it back in 3 days and I would be stuck with 2 days of a rental car bill).

This makes me happy (even though I won't have my car for a couple days). I've been struggling to have this problem fixed pretty much since I bought the car, so I'm encouraged that they're actually doing something this time. Every other time they just tell me to make sure I'm tightening the gas cap all the way. Hopefully the reprogrammed ECU will fix it. I'll update when I get my car back......
Old 07-06-2004, 08:08 AM
VIP Member

I just keep bumping this old *** thread with my information, but I figure it could be helpful to someone down the road.

So I got my car back at the end of last week with the reprogrammed ECU in it that was supposed to fix the problem. It didn't. I was driving this weekend and it came on again. So I brought it to the dealer (I was surprised they were open on July 5th), and they checked all the tubes again, but this time they gave me a new gas cap. I highly doubt this is going to fix the problem, but I have to let them try. Hopefully it does, but with the problems I've been having with it, it's unlikely.

So when the light comes back on (which I'm sure it will), what can I do? They have exhausted all the possible problems, and the ECU reprogram was at the recommendation of the tech's at SOA. What now? Do I have any recourse? The lemon laws say that the problem as to impair the ability to drive the car (or something like that), and this certainly doesn't fit into that description. It doesn't affect the drivability of the car, it's just annoying to constantly see the Check Engine light on. What can I do?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:02 AM

P1443 was a pretty common code for the early 02's. It's a solenoid that had to be replaced. Mine was replaced. they wanted me to send in my ECU too. And I said no. I heard that they change the maps and actually reduce power.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

I haven't noticed any reduction in power since I've been driving it with the new ECU. And that code was gone after the reprogram. It's the P0457 that keeps coming up.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 Wrb WRX sedan
Do you still get the CEL? I have been trying to figure out what the problem is. The dealer said that they are not even going to attempt to find out what's wrong because I have a TBE and have altered the emissions section of my car. Looks like i'm on my own. What is the deal with this phantom hose being loose? Where can I find this on my car and plug it back in?
Todd
Old 04-05-2005, 09:25 AM

Car Info: Silver 02 WRX
same here, is it true that the UTEC can stop that light? if so are there any other ECU mods that can?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
VIP Member

I actually got rid of my sedan that this problem was occurring on. I never did get the problem fixed after countless attempts.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
bringing it back! just wanted to know the level of modifications on everybody's car that is experiencing this problem... i just installed a vf34 with all supporting mods in my car a set off the same trouble code that you are all receiving. p0457 evap emissions gas cap crap. if anybody has resolved this problem lemme kno how. im going to reinstall my injectors/fuel pump this weekend to see if i can resolve it. good luck to you all and keep me posted.

Quick Reply: I'm at a loss (CEL indicates gas cap, but that doesn't fix it)