Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

How much should i pay (for an STi)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Black
How much should i pay????

I am looking into getting back into the WRX world. I had a 2003 WRX and now i have a 2003 Cobra. I am Looking into buying an STI new from one of the dealerships down here in south florida. My question is how much did you STi peopel pay for yours, if you dont mind me asking/
Old 04-26-2005, 09:02 PM

not to disuade

not trying to disuade you from buying an STi here, it's a great car, but it seems like you're going through wheels pretty fast. Before you jump on this, take a look at what used STi's are selling for, because a lot of people are trying to get rid of theirs for one reason or another, and not a lot of people are having much luck. E-bay auctions all end in the 23 range, and almost never meet reserve, and from what I've seen, people aren't generally (with exceptions of course) getting more than 26 on forums.

If you go through cars pretty fast, you may want to think about getting a used STi instead of a new one, so someone else takes the hit. That is, assuming you can stomach the hit you'll take unloading your 'stang.
Just my $.02
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by LUvikes29
not trying to disuade you from buying an STi here, it's a great car, but it seems like you're going through wheels pretty fast. Before you jump on this, take a look at what used STi's are selling for, because a lot of people are trying to get rid of theirs for one reason or another, and not a lot of people are having much luck. E-bay auctions all end in the 23 range, and almost never meet reserve, and from what I've seen, people aren't generally (with exceptions of course) getting more than 26 on forums.

If you go through cars pretty fast, you may want to think about getting a used STi instead of a new one, so someone else takes the hit. That is, assuming you can stomach the hit you'll take unloading your 'stang.
Just my $.02

thats deff somehting i have ben looking into. I have come across a lot of problems thouhgh. Many people drive the **** out of theirs and break them, i went to test drive a guys and it drove like **** and he siad well it still has a warranty so dont worry about it. And then there are a bunch in my area but that are modded, I like to mod cars, but i like to do them my way. All of the ones around me were done woth cheap mods. There is one good one near me at a dealership that has like 5000 miles on it but itis white with gold ris, i deff do not like the gold rims. I really wrote this to find out what the guys who bought them new paid. I want to know how much i can get out of tthe dealership.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Prepare to be flamed on for admitting you don't like gold rims. But yeah def. let someone else take the depreciation hit if you can. The only way I would buy a new one is if I intended on keeping it for a while (at least 4 years).
Old 04-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Prepare to be flamed on for admitting you don't like gold rims. .
ehh thats alright i can take it. Everyone has their own preferences.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:26 PM

cmon guys there are over 37,000 members and i cant get any more input?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:28 PM

new prices

I sell new to NASIOC & ICLUB members @29,900. In most cases, your local dealer can match, or at least come close to that price. If this is not the case, PM me.

This may be the first time you've caught a car salesman saying this, but REALLY think about buying this car new. They're taking a depreciation hit because there's quite low financing on new, so used ones have to depreciate enough to match the payment difference for the extra 2% interest on the financing, if you follow.

You're right about your concerns re: used. And don't let ANYONE tell you "don't worry, it has a warranty" That sounds suspiciously like something that someone that has had a warranty claim denied would say. Subaru had been known to deny a number of STi and WRX claims due to "abusive driving practices"

Here's what to do: I've given this advice a bunch of times before, to other guys looking, but I'll say it again, because it really is good advice.
A) Find an older (40 or so) guy that bought one as a midlife crisis car, and hates it, and wants a BMW again. There's plenty of them, and they take good care of their cars because they can afford to, Buy private party from him
B) Scan ads from Mercedes and BMW (and Acura, Infiniti, etc.) dealers. A lot of times they will take an STi or EVO on trade from the guy I mentioned in A), and will re-sell it. If you're really agressive, leave your contact information with the used car manager (not a salesman, they often loose such info) for when they get one.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 05 sti
i don't remember the exact price mine was, but i got it for ~500 or so below invoice(out the door was ~35k). If you want to get a new, the 29,XXX range is always a good deal. Since sti's a performance vehicle with much more potential than what the factory gives, you're absolutely right, most people abuse it like no other. Used might be a good choice, but better be prepared to picky.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
i HOPE ur not gunna sell ur cobra or trade it in goddd id pick the cobra ANY day over the STi......im a ford guy FIRST, subaru SECOND (in the world of somewhat affordable cars...then Ferrari comes FIRST ) hehe
Old 04-30-2005, 07:28 AM

ford guy first?

Which do you like better about Ford, that you're driving a brand new car that's gone un-updated for a over a decade, and thus, is basically obsolete before it leaves the showroom, or the added excitement that at any moment your car could fall to pieces?

It's not your car's fault though, it's the darn blue oval disease that's running rampant in the factory.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by LUvikes29
Which do you like better about Ford, that you're driving a brand new car that's gone un-updated for a over a decade, and thus, is basically obsolete before it leaves the showroom, or the added excitement that at any moment your car could fall to pieces?

It's not your car's fault though, it's the darn blue oval disease that's running rampant in the factory.
dont get me worng, i love the cobra but it is not practical for me. I gets **** for gass milage, and i make 2, 700 mile trips every moth. The car is just not fun on the street with so many cops around, i mean just the other day io got pulled over and the guys reasoning was "it sounded like i was going fast." I am a young person in a Cobra and that equals a target for cops. I have cops following me everywhwere i go. And also there are so many little things breaking on my car i cantt take it anymore and plus i only have 17,000 miles and i have gone through 4 SETS OF TIRES. three of thjose sets being rears. I loved my wrx and i never had a problem with it and i drove the **** out of that thing.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:21 PM

sounded fast?

Huh, that's pretty scientific. I wonder if it smelled like you were going fast... I got drilled for "clearly" rolling a stop sign at 2:30 AM in the middle of nowhere by a cop who was almost half a mile away at the time I rolled the sign. I feel your pain
Old 05-01-2005, 09:52 AM

$26

That's a very fair price if the car is in good shape (that's a BIG if though).
I'm a little surprised that you're saying that EVO's are going higher, the MR will sell for more, because it costs more to start with, but you should be able to pick up an 04 evo with 15K for like 23 if you're looking hard enough.

Quick Reply: How much should i pay (for an STi)?