Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Heres my story.......i need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
Heres my story.......i need some advice.

K, i wrecked my car about a month ago and it looks like its gonna be totaled. its was a cherry 96 cobra. ill put up a pic at the end. wrecked it on the freeway in the rain, mustang + rain + speeds over 20 = BAD! so now im gonna be gettin a check for like 11-13k and i have a few options. well before i do anything i have to pay my parents back the $3,200 i still owe them for the cobra. then whatever is left over i can use to get a new car. my options right now are getting a 96 Mystic CObra my friend is selling, or getting a new car (04 cobra or 05 Sti are the 2 im looking at). ive always wanted a WRX, almost bought one before i found my cobra. i went and looked at the new 05 STi's at my Subi lot and i really like them. so my question.......... will a 19 year old with around $7-8k making $1500 a month be able to get a loan on one of these things without a cosigner? my dad doesnt like the idea of me getting a $33k car when im 19 so he said ide have to be able to do it on my own, without a cosigner for him to let me do it. and does it make sense for me to get an STi when im just gonna b trading it in in 2 years for an 07 Cobra? what are you thoughts????

heres my old baby:
Name:  cobra020.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  131.5 KB
Old 01-23-2005, 01:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Hmm. Well, I'd say an STi would not be your best bet. I'm 23, and I know that my insurance is pretty high on an STi with no points, so I can't see yours being very cheap (and I also live in Sacramento). Additionally, if you put down $9800 on $32k + tax, you're looking at financing about $25k. With little to no credit, provided you'd even be approved, your rate would probably be pretty high, so you'd probably looking at payments of at least $400/mo. Car payments + insurance will probably eat up most of your monthly income, and then you have things like gas to worry about, and food or going out with friends and stuff on the weekends.

I'd say buy a WRX. The car is awesome and your payments will be WAY lower, both on insurance and on the financing. That will leave you with more money at the end of the month to buy gas, mods, eat dinner, etc. Additionally, do you ever plan to move out of your parents place? It's expensive as hell when you have to pay for everything, and being sadled with a high car payment sure doesn't make things any easier. Maybe buying a cheaper car cash money right now (you could probably pay near all cash for a 2001 2.5RS, which is a sweet ride) would be a good idea. You'd have no car payment, cheap insurance (the RS is really cheap to insure) and tons of money at the end of the month to save, get lap dances, buy food, etc. Having a cool, fast car sucks *** when you can't afford to do anything or go anywhere with it .

When you do decide to purchase your car, contact Eric Rasmussen in internet sales (also: ericdared81 is his screen name on these here forums) at Autowest Subaru in the Roseville Automall. A lot of us Sacramento guys have purchased our cars from him and he treats us real nice like.

Last edited by nachomc; 01-23-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Hmm. Well, I'd say an STi would not be your best bet. I'm 23, and I know that my insurance is pretty high on an STi with no points, so I can't see yours being very cheap (and I also live in Sacramento). Additionally, if you put down $9800 on $32k + tax, you're looking at financing about $25k. With little to no credit, provided you'd even be approved, your rate would probably be pretty high, so you'd probably looking at payments of at least $400/mo. Car payments + insurance will probably eat up most of your monthly income, and then you have things like gas to worry about, and food or going out with friends and stuff on the weekends.

I'd say buy a WRX. The car is awesome and your payments will be WAY lower, both on insurance and on the financing. That will leave you with more money at the end of the month to buy gas, mods, eat dinner, etc. Additionally, do you ever plan to move out of your parents place? It's expensive as hell when you have to pay for everything, and being sadled with a high car payment sure doesn't make things any easier. Maybe buying a cheaper car cash money right now (you could probably pay near all cash for a 2001 2.5RS, which is a sweet ride) would be a good idea. You'd have no car payment, cheap insurance (the RS is really cheap to insure) and tons of money at the end of the month to save, get lap dances, buy food, etc. Having a cool, fast car sucks *** when you can't afford to do anything or go anywhere with it .

When you do decide to purchase your car, contact Eric Rasmussen in internet sales (also: ericdared81 is his screen name on these here forums) at Autowest Subaru in the Roseville Automall. A lot of us Sacramento guys have purchased our cars from him and he treats us real nice like.
thanx, thats good to know that there is a guy on here from my local dealership. your not gonna like me for this, but my parents cover 200 a month on my insurance, which has left me with 50 extra a month to cover, ive been making 300 a month payments on the cobra and paying 300 a month for gas too. i just got a promotion at work that is gonna near double the income i have had for the last 6 months. so if i can get a loan, ide be able to make the payments no problem. as far as mods go, if i got a regular WRX ide HAVE to mod it, i know how i am. if i got a STi ide get a turboback, and chip and leave it at that. but maybe i should go meet with this Eric guy and see what we could work out...........
Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 PM
VIP Member

I don't dislike you for having help from the parents. My parents helped me with insurance for the first few years of driving too. If you can afford it and you want the car, there's no reason not to get it I guess .
Old 01-23-2005, 07:53 PM

scratch that, now im looking for a used WRC Blue 02 sedan, clean with low miles and minimal to no mods. anyone know of any in Nor-Cal???
Old 01-23-2005, 08:00 PM
VIP Member

Call Eric at Autowest. He can find used cars for you as well. I bought my '01 2.5RS from him just a few months ago.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Oh, and why the sudden change on the car?
Old 01-23-2005, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Corbic - In Sacramento (where the OP lives), the apartment you described would be at least $900/mo
Old 01-23-2005, 08:46 PM

dad said that if i get a used WRX he'll loan me the money. so im lookin for something under 18G's. found one on autotrader in the bayarea with 42,000 miles for 17k. we'll see what happens.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 PM

ide go for a black one too.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:24 AM

i dont have a say in the matter, he wont let me take a loan out in my name and as long as im living here its up to him. and i never claimed 3000 a month, i said 1500 (more like 2000 actually) but yeah. so my dad said no matter what the next car i get it was to be done through him, at least i still have my CC to try and build credit, but im scarred to use it, i know myslef too well. im sure you know this, but i am making monthly payments on the car, my daddys not buying it for me.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:26 AM

went back and read it again, ive been making about 1000-1200 a month for the last 6 months, now ill be making around 1800-2000. i like to round down on my income because im a server so it depends on how i do in tips that month, ya know?

Quick Reply: Heres my story.......i need some advice.