Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Having difficulty to start my wrx engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 PM

Angry Having difficulty to start my wrx engine

Hi Guys

I have a 2004 WRX Wagon. I'm having a problem to start my engine once in a while. The problem is the engine is not started, but I can hear the cracking sound from the starter. I need to depress the accelerator few times before the engine can be started. I did tell my dealership about this problem, since they can't reproduce it and claim that there is no problem. I had get into this problem more than 5 times during the last 3k miles driving. Currently, my car mileage is around 24k and this problem is observed even I have only few thousand miles. Your help is really appreicate.

Btw, did any one already post this question? I try to search it but I can't find it. If this is a duplicate thread, sorry for any inconvenience in advance :P

-wrx2004wagon
Old 02-02-2005, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 00 2.5RS
Is it cold where you live?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 AM

No. I live in Bay Area (CA). So, it is not that cold here. At least, not snowing.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 AM

I find that my car starts better if I turn the ignition to fully on, but wait a few seconds before cranking it. I assume it takes it a cople of seconds to pressurize the fuel system. If I don't do this, it starts, but it takes longer and sometimes cranks for 4-5 seconds before firing.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:24 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I have a similar problem with only ~6000 miles. I'm also in the Bay Area. Happened this morning actually.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:30 PM

It sounds like a problem in WRX. I'll bring in my car to the Stevens Creek Subaru on Friday. I hope that the service advisor can take a look the problem and don't just say that they can not reproduce the problem. My bumper-to-bumper warranty will be expired after another 10k :P
Old 02-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Wink Don't worry

I got an '02 WRX and it has the same problem. I tried to pressurize the fuel system by holding the key in the ignition mode for a few seconds before cranking it over, but the truth is it doesn't matter (at least not for my car). It still has the delayed starting problem occasionally. The dealer couldn't find the problem either. Its totally random and it can happen in both hot and cold conditions, so its very difficult to duplicate. I think its a pretty common issue with the WRX's and I think its just a Subaru quirk.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:43 PM

Thx for your sharing. Just like what I expect after the last friday regular maintanence, the advisor told me that they can't find what's the problem. Since my warranty will be expired very soon (26k miles for less than 1 year :P ), I worry this problem may come up after the 36k warranty. He told me that it should be ok since they have all the log on the computer and subaru probably will honor it if something happen later.

Thx for your sharing I'll see whether it helps to stay the ignition key to the "on" position for few seceonds before I crank to start the engine. Btw, how you resolve your problem when you can't start your engine? Step on the gas padel to resolve the problem?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:27 PM

When I having this hard start engine problem, I can only hear the cranking sound and the engine is not turn over at all. So, I wait for few sec and try it again. It didn't help at all. So, I step on the gas padel while I start the engine to resolve the problem. Since stepping on the gas padel will flood the engine, do you have any other suggestion when I see the same problem again? Your suggestion is greatly appreciated

Thx!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:23 AM

I am having a similar issue w/ my car. I was going to post a thread about it, but thank goodness for the "SEARCH". Anyway, my problem is slightly different than wrx2004wagon's issue. I am having a hard time starting my car AFTER I drove maybe at least about 30 minutes. I only have my car (PSM WRX) since Sept'03 w/ 9800 miles on it. The problem started to occur around Oct'04. Maybe about several times a month. I haven't done my 7500 miles tune-up (don't have the money right now). Any great infos are highly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up

Hi subeteknic

thx for your info. I guess I'll try with your advise when I get into that problem again. So, the dealership can diagnose right at that situation.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
have the same problem in my 05 wrx. about 11k on it and it has happened about 3-4 times. the first time was before i 1k breaking in period. since it is random i didn't even bother taking it in to the dealer and it will start up on the second or third try. (knocking on wood).

Quick Reply: Having difficulty to start my wrx engine